Frequently Asked Questions about GED / AHSD Graduation
GED/Adult High School Diploma Graduation Ceremony 2014
Graduation will begin promptly at 7 p.m., Friday, June 13, 2014 at the Mt. Hood Community College Earl L. Klapstein Track and Field Stadium (17th and Kane St.) on the south edge of the Gresham Campus, rain or shine. There is ample free parking throughout the campus with disabled parking located at the stadium as well as other areas of campus.
Graduates should arrive by 6:15 p.m. and line up in the gymnasium no later than 6:30 p.m.
Cap and Gown Information
Students may purchase their cap, gown and tassel for $29.99 May 1 - June 13 in the College Bookstore. The Bookstore hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly happens at graduation?
The program is similar to other graduation ceremonies: Students and faculty file to their seats; there are two or three short speeches welcoming the graduates and their guests; the students cross the stage and receive a certificate folder. GED graduates pick up their certificates immediately after the ceremony in the gym, Room PE114.
How long will graduation last?
Graduates must arrive by 6:15 p.m. The ceremony will begin at 7 p.m., Friday, June 13 and last about one hour.
What about pictures?
Graduates and their families often want a photograph as a souvenir of the event. A professional photographer will take a picture of each student who crosses the stage, and a proof will be sent to the student who can purchase pictures as he/she chooses. Family and friends should remain seated, but they may take snapshots from their seats. An official photographer from the college will take photos that may be used for marketing purposes in publications and on the website.
Do I need to tell you that I’m coming to Graduation?
Yes, GED students must return the RSVP (request for response) card by Monday, June 9, if you plan to attend the ceremony. You may still participate without a RSVP, but you will not receive an MHCC certificate.
I can’t come to the graduation. Can I still get a GED certificate?
You can order your official GED certificate through diplomasender.com. Only those who RSVP and attend the graduation ceremony will receive a Mt. Hood Community College certificate.
What about rehearsal?
There is NO REHEARSAL for the graduation ceremony. Therefore, please arrive by 6:15 p.m. You will be given verbal instructions when you arrive. Experienced marshals will line you up in the gym and guide you to your seat.
If you have further questions about the graduation, please call:
MHCC GED Graduates: 503-491-7333
HSD Graduates: 503-491-7421
Project YESS Graduates: 503-491-7641
More Instructions for Graduates
- On the night of the ceremony, graduates will need to pick up and fill out two cards from Room PE114 in the gym and then start lining up in the middle of the gymnasium. One card will be used to read your name before you cross the stage and given to the professional photographer to mail your proofs. The second card goes to the sign language interpreter for our hearing-impaired guests. BE SURE TO CARRY BOTH CARDS WITH YOU UNTIL YOU TURN THEM IN WHEN CROSSING THE STAGE.
- If you are wearing a graduate’s cap and gown, the tassel belongs on your RIGHT. All graduates switch their tassels when they are instructed to do so by the President at the end of the ceremony.
- At 6:45 p.m. four staff marshals will lead you out of the gymnasium in two lines and on to the track to your seats. Please fill each row (trust the marshal who is leading you when they say there are enough seats) and remain standing until everyone has filed in. If you wish to sit with one of your classmates, be sure you are in the same line as they are.
- Graduation programs will be handed to you before the ceremony begins, so you can follow the order of events.
- The procedure for receiving your certificate cover is as follows:
- A marshal will indicate when each row should rise and move to the ramp to walk across the stage.
- At the top of the ramp before crossing the stage, hand one card to staff on your right for the announcer and the other card to staff on your left for the sign language interpreter.
- As the announcer reads your name, step forward and approach the President to shake hands, receive your certificate cover and to have your picture taken. Extend your left hand to receive the certificate cover and your right hand for the handshake. Then proceed forward to shake hands with the next person, a member of the MHCC Board of Education.
- Continue to walk across the stage and down the ramp and return to your original seat.
- After the ceremony, the procession marshal will lead you out the same way you came in. PLEASE STAY IN LINE. Friends and relatives will wait for you.
- Your certificate cover will be empty. You will be able to pick up your certificate in PE Room 114 after the ceremony.