1) Read the statement or passage and then choose the best answer to the question. Answer the question on the basis of what is stated or implied in the statement or passage.
Myths are stories, the products of fertile imagination, sometimes simple, often containing profound truths. They are not meant to be taken too literally. Details may sometimes appear childish, but most myths express a culture's most serious beliefs about human beings, eternity, and God…
The main idea of the passage is that myths…
(A) are created primarily to entertain young children
(B) are purposely written for the reader who lacks imagination
(C) provide the reader with a means of escape from reality
(D) illustrate the values that are considered important to society.
2) Two underlined sentences are followed by a question or statement about them. Read each pair of sentences and then choose the best answer to the questions or the best completion of the statement.
The Midwest is experiencing its worst drought in fifteen years.
Corn and soybean prices are expected to be very high this year.
What does the second sentence do?
(A) it restates the idea found in the first
(B) it states an effect
(C) it gives an example
(D) it analyzes the statement made in the first
1) Select the best version of the underlined part of the sentence. The first choice is the same as the original sentence. If you think the original sentence is the best, choose the first answer.
Ms. Rose planning to teach a course in biology next summer.
(B) are planning
(C) with a plan
2) Rewrite the sentence in your head, following the directions given below. Keep in mind that your new sentence should be well written and should have essentially the same meaning as the sentence given you.
Being a female jockey, she was often interviewed.
Rewrite, beginning with She was often interviewed….
The next words will be
(A) on account of she was
(B) by her being
(C) because she was
(D) being as she was
1) All of the following are ways to write 20 percent of N except
(A) 0.20 N
(B) 20/100 N
(C) 1/5 N
(D) 20 N
2) Which of the following is closest to ?
3) Three people who work full time are to work together on a project, but their total time on the project is to be equivalent to that of only one person working full time. If one of the people is budgeted for 1/2 of his time to the project and a second person for 1/3 of her time, what part of the third worker's time should be budgeted to this project?
Elementary Algebra Skills
1) If a number is divided by 4 and 3 is subtracted, the result is 0. What is the number?
2) 16x – 8 =
(B) 8 (2x - x)
(C) 8 (2x - 1)
(D) 8 (2x - 8)
3) If x2 – x – 6 = 0, then x is
(A) –2 or 3
(B) –1 or 6
(C) 1 or –6
(D) 2 or –3
College-level Mathematics Skills
1) If f (x) = x4-x + 2, then f (-x) =
(A) x4 – x
(B) x4 + x
(C) x4 – x + 2
(D) x4 + x + 2
(E) x4 – x – 2
2) The equation x2 + 2ix – 4 = 0 has as its roots
3) In triangle ABC, a=12, b=16, and sin B=2/3. What is the measure of angle A in degrees?
Answers to the Sample Questions