Mental Health/Human Service Frequently Asked Questions

Advising Questions:

Q: I would like to plan a schedule of the courses I need to take in order to apply to the program. Or I need to know how my classes will transfer over to MHCC. Who should I contact?
A: Students needing assistance in creating an educational plan to prepare for applying into the Mental Health and Human Service program should meet with an academic adviser in the Academic Advising and Transfer Center located at Student Services (Room AC2253).

Q: How do I know what classes to take before I get into the program?
A: You are invited to attend informational sessions (see which are offered once a month in room 2761 (Allied Health conference room). You may also seek advising from an academic adviser in the Academic Advising and Transfer Center located at Student Services (Room AC2253). Refer to for optional classes. Make sure to let the adviser know that you are applying for the Mental Health and Human Service program. You may visit the college catalog page describing the program class outline as well. It is highly recommended that students take EL115C, RD115, and PSY201 before entering the program. These are not required for graduation from the program but will assist substantially in student success.

Admission Questions:

Q: What are the course requirements for applying?
A: Success in the program requires certain skill levels in the areas of reading, writing and math. You can meet the minimum requirement using any one or a combination of the options below for each requirement.

CPT Placement into*


Completion of**


Completion of




RD090 or WR115**


 Bachelor’s degree




WR115 or a higher level Writing-specific course**


 Bachelor’s degree




MTH010 or a higher level Math-specific course**


 Bachelor’s degree

* CPT must be taken with 2 years from the application deadline.
**Coursework must be completed with a “C” grade or higher

Q: I completed WR115? Do I need to take the CPT for reading and writing to apply?
A: If you completed WR115 or WR121 with a “C” grade or better, you do not need to take the CPT. You have met the reading and writing skills requirement.

Q: I took the required courses over 10 years ago. Do I need to take the CPT?
A: No. The coursework does not expire for purposes of admission to the Mental Health and Human Service program.

Q: I took the CPT 2- ½ years ago. Is it still valid?
A: No, test scores are only valid for two years from the application deadline date.

Q: I tested into MTH020. Can I apply or do I need to complete the class first?
A: Applicants who tested into MTH020 within two years from the application deadline may apply prior to completing the course. If using college coursework, the minimum requirement is MTH010 with a “C” grade or better.

Q: I took a higher level mathematics class than MTH010. Do I need to take the math CPT?
A: No. The minimum math requirement is MTH010 if using completed coursework for applying. If you completed a mathematics class that is higher, you do not need to take the CPT.

Q: If I did not complete MTH010 but took MTH020 and received a D grade, will I meet the admission requirement.
A:  No, the course has to be completed with a “C” grade or better. Because MTH010 was not completed, we have to base the requirement on the available math course. We advise the student to take the CPT test if the student cannot meet the requirement through completed coursework.

Q: I took my classes at Portland Community College. How should I submit my coursework?
A: If you are using classes from another institution to meet the skills proficiency requirement of reading, writing and math, you must submit an official copy of the transcript in a sealed envelope issued directly from the institution in which you took the courses to MHCC.

Q: My transfer coursework from Clackamas Community College is already listed on my PSU transcript. Do I really have to submit my Clackamas Community College transcript?
A: Yes! Courses showing up as transferred from another institution on a transcript are not valid.

Q. I took all my classes at MHCC. Do I need to submit a transcript?
A: No, if all of your courses were taken at MHCC, you do not need to submit the transcript with your application. We can access your record.

Q: I would like to transfer from another institution and have completed several MH/HS courses, should I apply and pay the application processing fee?
A: No, you should contact the program director for an unofficial evaluation of courses whereby you may be accepted with advanced standing by faculty approval.

Q: Do I need to have worked in the field prior to applying?
A: No work experience is necessary. However, applicants will be required to provide an experience summary describing specifically what volunteer or professional experience you had helping people in a social service, mental health, school, church, health care or other related setting. The written summary should be in a paragraph form consisting of at least 3-8 sentences per paragraph.

Q: I have been convicted of crimes in the past, can I still be admitted to the program?
A: Yes. Please attend an information session to find out more about how students with criminal backgrounds can be successful in completing the requirements of the Mental Health and Human Service program.

Q: Is a criminal background check or drug and alcohol test required for applying to the program?
A: No. The Mental Health and Human Service program does not require students to complete criminal background checks or drug testing for application or acceptance at this time. However, individual internship sites (agencies, hospitals, and schools) may require students to complete these as a part of their agency requirements. If you have concerns about your background and success in the Mental Health and Human Service program, please attend an informational session to discuss your concerns with program faculty. The program does have its own drug and alcohol use policy, and students intending on doing internships as addictions counselors must have two years of documented sobriety per Oregon Administrative Rules.

Q:  I am in recovery for addiction. Can I apply?
A: We encourage students who are recovering from drug and/or alcohol addiction issues to be very strongly committed into their recovery with substantial support and a plan for managing stress. Many students recovering from addictions are successful in this program if they have a secure recovery program and outside support. We suggest that you have at least 2 (two) years of sobriety before entering the program.

Q: I have specific questions about my application, who should I contact?
A: Questions about the application process or specific requirements should be directed to Ming Sok, Admissions Evaluator, by calling 503-491-7256 or emailing Applicants who are ready to apply may also seek assistance at the LR application workshop during open hours from 2-3pm in the Student Services Conference Room (AC2256). See specific dates at

Q: How do I submit my application?
A: You can turn it into the front counter inside Student Services (Room AC2253) or mail it to the address on the application.

Q: Who do I make the check payable to for the $25 application fee and where can I submit the payment?
A: Students may pay by cash, bank card or check at Student Services (Room AC2253). If paying by check, it should be paid to Mt. Hood Community College.

Q: Will I be informed if something is missing from my applications?
A: It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit a completed application. Applicants are not guaranteed to be notified if anything is missing from your application material.

Q: I get so much junk email. How can I make sure that I don’t miss any communications you send out regarding my application?
A: We recommend you add to your safe sender’s list as well as check your spam and junk mail regularly. We cannot be responsible for any notices that were not received.

Q: Do you think I will be accepted?
A: We have no idea, and here is why: The program is only as competitive as the people applying, and the people applying change each and every year. What was considered “competitive points” last year could be, and probably will be, completely different this year. We encourage you to apply!

Q: Can an exception be made to the application deadline?
A: No, the application deadline date is final. No exceptions will be made for individuals wishing to apply after the deadline date published on the application material.

Program Questions:

Q: When can I begin the program?
A: The Mental Health/Human Service program begins in the fall term only. The application deadline is in April prior to classes starting in the fall. Students begin the program as a group.

Q: How long does the program take to complete?

  • The program length for earning the 2-year associate (AAS) degree in Mental Health/Human Service is 6 terms excluding summer or longer if needed. Part-time options are available.
  • The Youth Worker certificate is 4 terms (1 year).
  • The Behavioral Healthcare Specialist - Career Pathways Certificate of Completion (available to AAS students upon completion of the first year of the Mental Health/Human Service program) is 9 months.

Q: Will I receive a degree upon completion of the program?
A: Yes. An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Mental Health/Human Service will be awarded. You will also qualify for the Youth Worker certificate and the Behavioral Healthcare Specialist – Career Pathway Certificate of Completion (available to AAS students upon completion of the first year of the Mental Health/Human Service program).

Q: How much does the program cost?
A: To calculate the total cost of a program, multiply the number of credits needed to complete the program by the per credit tuition rate available at Additional costs include books, course/lab fees, etc.

Q: Is financial aid available?
A: Yes, financing for this program may be available through grants, scholarships, or loans (federal and private) for students who qualify. Visit the Financial Aid home page or call (503)491-7262 to ask how you may obtain financial aid.

Q: How heavy is the workload?
A: The answer to this question may be very individual. If you have a job and a family, the workload will be heavier than if you are not working and/or have fewer responsibilities. Demands on full time students, particularly during practicum experiences, allow restricted amounts of time for other responsibilities including other work and family life. Thus, part-time options are available and many students choose the part-time option. We offer both full and part-time options. Full-time students take 12-15 credits per quarter. Part-time students take less than 12 credit hours.

Q: How can I get a better idea of how much time that is?
A: A good way to guestimate how much time you will spend studying would be to take the number of credits per week and times that by 2 hours of homework per credit. For example:  12 credit hours times 2 homework hours would equal 24 hours per week. Add the two:  12 hours in school + 24 hours homework = 36 hours per week.

Q: If I do the program on a part time basis, how do I know which classes to take?
A: Part time students should meet with faculty advisers to develop an educational plan as well as on a quarterly basis to ensure the proper classes are taken. You will be assigned a personal adviser who will assist you with course selection. Upon admission to the Mental Health and Human Service program, you will receive a list of classes you should register for if you are part-time.

Q: Can I work while I am in the program if I am a full time student?
A: It is not recommended that students work during the 2 year program. Some students expect their 12-18 hours of class time per week to feel like a part-time job. When you add the 1-3 hours of homework for each class hour, you end up with the equivalent of a full-time job!

Q: When are classes offered? Are there classes in the evening or weekends for those that work?
A: The core program classes are mainly offered during the day. We do offer some course work in the evenings and on weekends. These courses may be taken as part of your degree program or for continuing education for professionals working in the field. 

Q: Can I choose my own internship site?
A: We have many internship sites for students to choose from based on his/her interest.

Q: Will expenses be covered for travel to the internship site?
A: No, you are responsible for the expense for travel to and from the internship site.

Q: I have been accepted into the program but am planning my honeymoon in the Bahamas the week of orientation. This isn’t going to be a problem, is it?
A: Yes, it is a problem. All of the accepted students are required to attend the orientation. This is your time to choose: Bahamas or program?

Q: What career options are out there for me with a two-year degree?
A: While we cannot describe all of the employment opportunities, here is a sample. We have graduates working as Mental Health Technicians at local residential and hospital treatment facilities; Social Service Assistants with Dept. of Human Services; Case Managers with agencies serving the elderly and mentally ill; Counselors in residential treatment facilities for teens and adults; Drug and Alcohol Counselors in a wide variety of human service agencies; Mediation and Negotiation specialists with families; Program Developers and Grant Writers. These are just a FEW of the many opportunities that await our graduates. 

Q: Can I transfer to another college or university after completing this program?
A: Yes! Your Mental Health and Human Service degree transfers directly to Concordia University Social Work program and to Portland State University Child and Family Studies program and Social Work program. Some students attend Marylhurst University, University of Portland Social Work program, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, University of Washington, Western Oregon University and some may elect to do online bachelor degrees in a social science.

Q: Does the program prepare me to be an Addictions Counselor?
A: Yes! All coursework meets the requirement for certification in the state of Oregon. See for more information.

© 2014 Mt. Hood Community College | 26000 SE Stark St. | Gresham, OR 97030 | 503-491-6422
 Last Modified: 9/30/2014 12:25:58 PM