Spend Winter Term 2016 Studying Spanish in Costa Rica
January to March 2016
MHCC's own Spanish language program is located in the tropical town of San Isidro del General, Costa Rica, an hour from beautiful beaches and wonderful hiking. San Isidro del General is the gateway to the southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica, and offers the language learner good access to national parks and adventure travel. Students live with a middle class Costa Rican family; study Spanish at SEPA School taught by native speakers of Spanish; earn a full year's credits in college Spanish in just eight weeks—one week at MHCC and seven in Costa Rica! This is a very intense language immersion program, but plenty of fun, too. Enjoy the weekends to travel to eco-reserves, tropical beaches and mountains during your stay in Costa Rica.
- Earn a minimum of 15 transfer credits when you register for MHCC's Spanish Immersion Program in San Isidro del General, Costa Rica. Courses include either first-year Spanish (SPAN 101,102,103) or second-year Spanish (SPAN 201,202,203) plus SPAN 211, 212, 213 (Intermediate Conversation).
- Enjoy a home stay with a Costa Rican family in this tropical town of 70,000, a city that is well situated for its proximity to Pacific beaches renowned for surfing. Enjoy the tropical weather - 70-90 degrees most days. In San Isidro del General, the months of January to March fall during their summer--it rarely rains during this time!
- Receive individual attention from instructors who are qualified native speakers in classes that include conversation, grammar and writing, as well as Costa Rican history, cooking and culture.
- Begin to think in Spanish within a week thanks to immersion. In eight weeks, you will complete an entire year of regular college Spanish by studying the language daily in a small group setting.
- Cost is $5200 (estimated). Includes round trip transportation from Portland, room and board (except lunches), MHCC tuition for 15 credits, text books, the counsel of a resident MHCC instructor, and a three day / two night beach trip at a beautiful eco-lodge.
- Financial Aid can be applied towards the cost of the program. Please follow the steps on the "Study Abroad and Federal Financial Aid" flier available upon request.
- Group size is limited to 20 students reserve a place today. Leave Portland January 24 and return March 15 for a total of seven weeks. One week of Spanish instruction at MHCC is completed before your departure for Costa Rica. Your resident MHCC instructor in San Isidro is also a full-time instructor at MHCC.
Contact Eric Tschuy, Costa Rica Winter 2016 Study Abroad coordinator at 503.491.7469 (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), or Paul Eckhardt, MHCC Director of Study Abroad, at 503.491.7497 (e-mail: email@example.com), or the Humanities Division 503.491.7290 (leave message).
For more information,you may also write to:
Spanish in San Isidro del General, Costa Rica, Winter 2016
Eric Tschuy, Modern Languages Department
26000 S.E. Stark Street
Gresham, OR 97030