Adult Basic Education/General Educational Development (ABE/GED)
503-491-6GED / Español: 503-491-7675
The ABE/GED program offers classes in both Spanish and English designed to develop the skills needed in reading, math, science, social studies and writing in preparation for the GED tests, skill advancement and employability. Individuals ages 16 or older are eligible to enroll. Students under 18 must have the proper paperwork from the high school of their legal residence. Classes are offered at both the Gresham and Maywood Park campuses throughout the day and evening.
- All students seeking to enroll in a ABE/GED class must first take an assessment test.
- Assessment testing may be waived only if you have taken an ABE/GED assessment test during the past year, or have passed one or more of the new GED tests.
- In addition to the assessment test, you will complete paperwork and prepare for orientation.
- During orientation, you will get to know your instructors, meet other students who will be starting class at the same time as you, learn more about your skills and abilities, and explore the campus. You will also take additional assessment tests to determine your individual course of study and register for your class.
- Orientation may be waived only if you have attended an orientation at MHCC during the past year, or have passed one or more of the new GED tests.
Maywood Park Campus
Call 503-491-6100 for further information.
Call 503-491-6GED for further information.
The ABS Career & Academic Pathways Scholarship (CAPS)
This Scholarship is for students who have completed ABS (includes: OPABS, GED, ESL) courses at Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) and are on track to enroll in college classes at Mt. Hood Community College. It will cover up to 15 MHCC credits. Download and print the scholarship application packet at the following link, or pick up a copy of the application in the MHCC Adult Basic Skills office (room 2660).
The Foundation GED Scholarship
If you have been a GED student through MHCC GED classes, and earned your GED at MHCC, with an average test score of at least 500, since the last application deadline, you may be eligible to apply for the Foundation GED Scholarship. This award is for tuition for up to three terms.
Preparing for the GED Test On-Line
Use the following on-line resources to prepare to take the GED exam. It is one way to practice until you join a GED preparation class at Mt. Hood Community College. Click here for on-line resources.