Apprenticeship Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about the Apprenticeship Associate of Applied Science Degree Programs at Mt. Hood Community College

Who can participate?
You must first be a registered apprentice; for information on applying for apprenticeship and other useful information, please call any of our affiliates below or refer to the Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) at and then click on Apprenticeship on the right side of the web page.

What programs are available?

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree programs and certificates are offered in conjunction with the unions in the fields listed below. Each program determines the time and dates in which they take new applications.

If you call the number next to the program listed, a training center representative will answer your questions.

  • Brick Masons- 503-234-3781
  • Cement Masons – 503-408-8555
  • Glass Workers– 503-491-7359
  • Ironworkers- 503-775-0877
  • Sheet Metal– 503-257-1022
  • Roofers & Waterproofers– 503-232-4807
  • Pacific Northwest Carpenters Institute - 1-877-287-9282
  • NECA/IBEW Electrical Training Center - 503-262-9991
  • Pacific Inside Electrical[Coastal] – 541-756-6997
  • Central Electrical [Mid Valley] – 541-917-6199 –
  • Crater Lake Electrical [Southern Oregon] – 541-773-5888 –
  • Heat & Frost Insulators – 503-255-5124 –

Where are the classes held?
The Glass Workers hold their training on the Mt. Hood Community College main campus. All others have their own training center in various locations.

How do I register for courses?
Your instructor at the Training Center will help you with the registration of your apprenticeship classes. To register for the general education classes required for the degree that are not held at the training center, you will need to contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center at 503-491-7315 where the staff will help you with the steps necessary. You can also click on the link below for directions and information:

How do I earn the Associate Degree of Applied Science or Certificate?
In addition to on the job training and classroom training at the various training centers, students must complete 16 credits of required general education courses at Mt. Hood Community College. The link below can lead you to information about what classes you need to complete in order to earn the degree. You can also check your progress towards graduation from this link:

For information regarding the certificates, please call Melodie Barber at 503-491-7401.

Do I have to take all the general education classes at MHCC to earn the AAS degree?
No, classes can be transferred in from any accredited college; however you must satisfactorily earn a minimum of 24 credit hours of applicable credit at Mt. Hood Community College and be in attendance at MHCC the term in which the degree or certificate is completed. If you have credits to transfer in from another college you will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at the college or university that you attended to have your transcripts sent to MHCC. Most will charge a nominal fee and will require that you provide proof of identification.

Is financial aid available?
Yes, in some cases. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 503 491-7261

Apprenticeship is a great opportunity to earn while you learn. We wish you all the best with your career search! If you have additional questions please call the Apprenticeship Coordinator, Melodie Barber at 503-491-7401 or email her at

© 2014 Mt. Hood Community College | 26000 SE Stark St. | Gresham, OR 97030 | 503-491-6422
 Last Modified: 9/19/2014 01:57:51 PM