General Safety Tips
It is important for employees and students to use common sense precautions in order to avoid becoming a victim of a crime. Consider the following tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious behavior/activities.
- Walk at a brisk pace. Avoid walking alone after dark. Walk with people you know and travel in well-lighted, well-traveled areas.
- Call Public Safety at 503-491-7310 for an escort anywhere on campus, including to and from your vehicle.
- Be familiar with the location of emergency telephones/call boxes that are located throughout the Gresham Campus and in elevators. Call Public Safety at extension 7310 for non-emergencies and 7911 for emergencies.
- Pre-program the Public Safety telephone number (503-491-7911) into your cell phone.
- If you are confronted by someone who wants property, give it to them; then shout: “No!” “Stop!” or “Call the police!” loudly to call attention to the situation. Immediately call Public Safety (503-491-7911). Provide a description of the assailant and the license number if a vehicle is involved.
- Public Safety officers are available to meet with individuals to discuss their specific safety concerns on campus and to help you develop a personal safety plan.
- Take your valuables with you. Do not leave personal items unattended in parked vehicles or college buildings where others may have an opportunity to take them.
- Lock individual offices or areas when you are away.
- Ensure rooms are locked when not in use, especially when valuable items or equipment are in the room.
- Post signs at locations where public access is restricted.
- Keep a written record of valuables, including descriptions and serial numbers.
- Report missing or stolen property immediately to Public Safety.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Do not leave your valuables such as global positioning systems (GPS), laptops, CDs, book bags, purses and wallets in your vehicle, nor in the trunk, under the seats and/or in the glove compartment.
- Remove your detachable stereo faceplate.
- Lock your vehicle and close all windows. Consider using anti-theft devices, such as “The Club” sold in the Gresham Campus Bookstore.
- Scan the interior and exterior of your parked car before entering.
- If leaving your vehicle on campus overnight, call Public Safety (503-491-7310) and leave your name, contact number, vehicle plate number, make, model and color; and time you plan to remove the vehicle from campus. If you do not notify Public Safety, your vehicle may be towed at the owner’s expense.
- Lock your bicycle frame and front wheel to a bike rack.
- Use only a U-bolt type lock. Steel cable locks and padlocks can be easily cut.
- Register your Bike at National Bike Registry
Threatening Emails and Telephone Calls
- If you receive emails or telephone calls that are threatening or disturbing, please report these immediately to Public Safety (503-491-7310). Do not confront the individual.
- Document all conversations, including what was said, email address or telephone number and date and time the call came in.
- Save all messages. Do not delete.
- Forward all email and telephone messages and other documentation to Public Safety (publicSafety2@mhcc.edu).
Report Suspicious Activities
- Be alert for unusual events or suspicious items or packages.
- Do not confront the situation by yourself.
- Do not go near the area or attempt to open or inspect suspicious items.
- Immediately report any unusual, suspicious or obvious threatening or criminal activities to Public Safety (503-491-7911) if a situation is in progress; or 503-491-7310 if the incident has already occurred.