“It is one thing to question authority – You must speak with it too.”
– Taylor Mali
For over 35 years, the MHCC Forensics Program has produced many successful speakers and future leaders. During the 2011-12 season, The MHCC Forensics Team solidified its place as one of the region's best Forensics Programs, earning numerous regional and national awards.
The MHCC Forensics team are the defending Northwest Forensics Conference and Pi Kappa Delta Province of the Great West Community College Regional Champions. The team finished in the top 10 in all of the major tournaments they attended, including a 5th place Team Sweepstakes Finish for Community Colleges in the 2011-12 IPDA Season Sweepstakes, 3 National Awards in IPDA Debate, 6 National Awards in Individual events, 6th place for Community College Sweepstakes, and a Top 15 finish in the Overall Sweepstakes Race at the 2012 Pi Kappa Delta National Comprehensive Championship Tournament held in Overland Park, Kansas.
|2012 Pi Kappa Delta Nationals Team: (L to R) - Stephanie Saracco, Ryan Rhoades,
Rob Sepich, Kimball Craig, Danner Marshall
WHAT IS FORENSICS?
Forensics is a competitive Speech and Debate team that gives students the opportunity to use their speaking, analytical and critical thinking skills. Students get a chance to travel to other colleges and universities in the northwest and across the country. They get to expand their horizons, as well as earn college credits toward their degree.
WHY SHOULD I JOIN THE FORENSICS TEAM?
Forensics Builds Strong Leaders 10 Ways
- Learn to speak on their feet.
- Perfect their public speaking skills through hours of practice and competition.
- Learn from observing some of the best speakers in the country/world in action during debates and IE competition.
- Develop confidence by meeting performance goals and earning awards.
- Understand the critical current issues of our day through multi-disciplinary examination and analysis.
- Learn how to persuade judges from diverse perspectives.
- Observe the intellectual trends popular in the world.
- Make life long friends on the team and from other schools.
- Become part of the ONE percent of college students who compete with peers from other schools.
- Gain valuable experience for future careers in law, teaching, media, or organizational leadership and life-long communication skills.
WHAT DO WE DO???
There are many types of events to choose from. There are Platform Speaking Events, Oral Interpretation Events and Parliamentary and Worlds Style (BP) Debate.
PLATFORM SPEAKING EVENTS:
- Communication Analysis
- After Dinner Speaking/Speech to Entertain
ORAL INTERPRETATION EVENTS:
- Dramatic Interpretation
- Poetry Interpretation
- Programmed Oral Interpretation (Mixed Genre)
- Prose Interpretation
- Duo Interpretation
- Reader's Theatre
LOCAL SPEAKING EVENTS:
The MHCC Forensics program is committed to be very active on campus as well as in the community, by encouraging opportunities to engage in critical discourse and public speech. The team, in conjunction with the Phi Rho Pi Community College Forensics Honorary, sponsor a debate only tournament through the Greater Portland Parliamentary League as well as the MHCC Saints Invitational High School Tournament in February and the MHCC Casual Fling College Invitational in May. On campus activities include participation in the Political Science Forum Debate Series, a Reader's Theatre performance during the MHCC Women's History Celebration, and a Poetry Slam that is open to High School Poets, MHCC Students, and anyone else in the community.
There are opportunities to receive talent grants for competing on the team. If you are interested, please either call or write to the following address:
Director of Forensics
Mt. Hood Community College
26000 SE Stark St.
Gresham, OR 97030
Ph: (503) 491-7634