Exploring College Majors or Careers
Need help investigating possible majors or careers? Here are a few suggestions to get you started in your exploration:
- Take a Career Planning Class
- HD 208 Career and Life Planning 3 credits
An in-depth career and life planning class designed to teach you the life- long process for choosing or changing careers. This class will allow you to research careers, assess options, learn more about yourself (values, interests, skills, personality), and learn critical decision-making strategies. All students will take the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, the two assessments used by many career counselors.
- HD 110 Career Planning 1 credit
This is an introductory class designed to teach you the process for making career and major decisions. You will learn about yourself, explore majors and careers, consider options, learn decision-making strategies and plan next steps. All students will take the Strong Interest Inventory. This class is usually offered on-line, in a traditional class room setting during the week and in a Saturday workshop format.
- Academic Counseling [503.491.7432]
- The faculty advisors for undeclared/exploratory students are:
Malcolm McCord, Dawn Forrester and Nicole Gilbertson
- If you are undeclared (remember: actively exploring your options) you are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor to discuss your educational options and create a plan specifically suited to meet your exploration needs.
- Go to a Workshop
- Degree Options: What degrees does MHCC offer? What’s the difference between an AAS and an AA-OT? What do I take if I want to transfer? This workshop is tailored to the specific questions of the students in attendance. Feel free to come and listen or bring your list of questions!
- Look at the current schedule of student success seminars
- Career Planning and Counseling Center (room 1152)
- We have many resources that can help you explore majors and careers. Feel free to stop by and take a look. We are open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Check out our website
- Want to make an appointment to speak with a counselor? Call 503-491-7432. Our goal is to help you meet your goals!
- Other suggested activities
- Learn about and use campus resources
- Join a club or campus organization
- Take a career planning class [see above]
- Create an education plan with your advisor [see above]
- Explore subjects that sound interesting to you. Take classes that look fun!
- Plan ahead. Meet with your advisor and prepare for the next quarter before registration opens
- Take more fun/exploratory classes
- Reflect on the exploratory classes you have taken. Discuss these with your advisor
- Take a look at What Can I Do With This Major? What careers might come out of your favorite possible majors?
- Look at the variety of programs MHCC has to offer
- Conduct information interviews with a faculty advisors in academic areas you are interested in