Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where do I go for academic advising?

A: A full answer to this question is provided on The Academic Advising and Transfer Center page.

Q: Do I need to take the College Placement Test?

A: If you plan to enroll in six or more credit hours, or plan to take a reading, writing, math, and/ or chemistry course and you have not completed English Composition and a Math course at another college, then yes you need to take the test.

Q: If I am transferring from another college, what do I need to do to get started at MHCC?

A: You need to send copies of your transcript(s) from prior college(s) to MHCC's Admissions and Records Office or bring copies with you when you come for advising and registration. We can use unofficial copies to get you started with classes. However, if you plan to use those credits toward a MHCC degree, you will eventually need to have an official copy sent to the Admissions office. If your transcript does not include a writing course and a math course, you will be required to take the College Placement Test.

Q: What is full-time student status?

A: Full-time status is enrollment in 12 credit hours per term. This equates to approximately 12 hours of class time per week. The general rule is for each hour you spend in class, allow two hours of study time outside of class. Therefore, full-time student status is the equivalent of holding down a full-time job.

Q: Will I be able to finish my degree in two years?

A: The reality for most students is that it takes more than two years to earn a degree. Factors influencing degree completion timelines include the need to work at least part-time, the need for skill-building coursework particularly in mathematics, and required prerequisite coursework for many programs. We suggest making an appointment to meet with an adviser in the Academic Advising & Transfer Center to develop an education plan. The plan will provide you with a realistic estimate of when you will complete your degree.

Q: What if I don't know what my major is going to be?

A: It is all right to start out undecided. Many of our students do. Initially, you can begin fulfilling requirements for any degree by taking writing, math, social science, and humanities courses. You can do some exploring by taking classes in areas of interest. You can also get formalized help deciding on an educational/career plan that is right for you by taking HD110 or HD208, Career and Life Planning courses.

Q: How do I know if the classes I am taking at MHCC will transfer to the college of my choice?

A: There are several ways of obtaining an answer to this question. First of all, if you are transferring to a public four-year university in Oregon, you can complete MHCC's Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree. This degree transfers as a block to all the four-year public schools and many private schools in Oregon. The degree fulfills the transfer school's lower-division general education requirements and guarantees you junior status for registration purposes. However, this degree is not ideal for all majors. Consult with your faculty adviser to decide if this is the best degree option for you.

Q: What if I don't plan to earn a degree before I transfer?

A: Resources for determining course by course equivalencies for transfer include on-line equivalency tables found at the transfer school's website, college catalogs which include course descriptions as well as requirements for particular majors, and transfer advising guides located in the Academic Advising and Transfer Center and on the MHCC website. Be sure to consult your adviser if you are having difficulty determining what courses will fulfill requirements at the transfer school.

Q: In the schedule, I see that a lot of courses require reading and writing proficiency. What does this mean?

A: MHCC defines proficiency as placement above Reading 90, Writing 90 and Math 10 and 20 on the College Placement Test. If you scored above these levels, you are considered proficient in all three of those areas. If however, you placed into Reading 90 for example, you will not have reading proficiency until you complete RD90. Therefore, you would not yet be eligible for a class requiring reading proficiency.

Q: What does it mean when a program says it is limited entry or "restricted to majors"?

A: At MHCC, Limited Entry means that you must apply to the program before beginning core classes in the major. These programs have varying entrance requirements that must be met prior to enrollment. Once you meet these requirements, you will be admitted to the program on a first-come, first-served space available basis. It is all right to start taking the general education courses listed in the catalog for that program prior to formal admission. It is only the core courses that are limited.

Q: What are Restricted Entry Programs?

A: Like limited entry programs, restricted entry programs have an application process. However, unlike limited entry programs, there is no guarantee of admission to restricted entry programs. Applicants are evaluated upon a variety of factors including prior academic coursework grades, completion of specified courses, related work experience, sometimes an interview etc. A set number of applicants per year are selected for the program.

Q: What if I have further questions?

A: Contact us at (503) 491-7315 or email at

New Students
Start HereIt’s easy to become a student at Mt. Hood Community College. Simply click on the "Start" button and follow the Steps for Getting Started. When you are finished, you will have applied for admission and financial aid, registered for classes, toured the campus, purchased your books, and you will be ready to start the new term!

© 2014 Mt. Hood Community College | 26000 SE Stark St. | Gresham, OR 97030 | 503-491-6422
 Last Modified: 8/23/2012 11:17:47 AM