Are You a Veteran or Current Service Member Who is Interested in Starting College Classes?
Our veterans cohort is the perfect way for you to transition into Mt. Hood Community College
Posted August 13, 2013
Mt. Hood Community College is committed to helping our service members and veterans become successful students. MHCC is officially recognized as a Military Friendly School by G.I. Jobs magazine for the fourth year in a row and our veterans cohort is the only program of its kind in the Pacific Northwest.
The veterans cohort consists of core classes that fulfill general education requirements for most of MHCC’s degrees. These classes help new veteran students prepare for academic success by providing a set structure as well as opportunities to interact with other veterans to establish a social support network and ease the transition into college.
Why be part of the veterans cohort?
For some, beginning college can be challenging and anxiety-provoking. The veterans cohort strives to provide academic support both inside and outside the classroom to help students feel confident and to establish a strong academic foundation that will help them succeed in their college careers and beyond.
- Provides a Structured Pathway to help ease the stress and anxiety associated with transitioning into college.
- Creates a More Personal Learning Experience by limiting the student-to-instructor ratio. This allows students to focus on learning and increases their personal interaction and assistance from instructors.
- Serves Only Current Service Members and Veterans to ensure that classes are taught in a comfortable environment with peers who understand military experience. This helps to foster camaraderie and increases social support which is known to help keep veteran students in school.
- Provides Access to Personal Academic Advising and Peer Mentoring to enhance the student’s college experience and help plan for future success.
- Focuses on Graduating by empowering students to fulfill general academic requirements for most degrees at MHCC or for transferring to a university.
- Offers Classes that Qualify for Veteran Educational Benefits.
For more information about Veteran Services at MHCC:
Veteran Services Office
For more information, please contact the Office of College Advancement, 503-491-7204 or email@example.com.