Petitioning to Remove Tuition Charges
Guidelines for Eligibility:
- A petition for exception to the Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) course refund policy will be considered in the event there are serious and compelling circumstances that have affected a student’s ability to complete the course(s). The circumstances include:
- Illness or injury of a nature that significantly impacted student’s ability to attend classes. (Physician’s statement required.)
- Illness or injury of an immediate family member for whom the student is the primary caregiver and is unable to continue attending classes. (Physician’s statement required.)
- Mandatory military or career transfer outside the greater Portland or Vancouver area. (Appropriate documentation required.)
- Death of an immediate family member that significantly impacted the student’s ability to attend classes. (Copy of death certificate or obituary required.)
- Petitions must be received no later than 60 days after the end of the term being petitioned.
- Classes paid with financial aid (grants, scholarships and/or tuition waivers) cannot be included in this petition process.
This Petition Cannot Be Filed Based On:
- Changes in work schedule, transportation problems or child care issues
- Being unaware of college procedures and deadlines
- Quality of instruction or course dissatisfaction (must see the Instructional Dean)
- Course placement or advising issues (must see the Dean of Student Success)
- Drop the course(s) if not past the withdrawal date.
- Complete this petition form.
- Submit a personal statement of explanation.
- Submit any supporting documentation as described above under guidelines.
Only complete petitions with official supporting documentation will be considered. Petitions which do not meet all requirements or that are incomplete will be returned without review. Mail or bring to the address below.
Click here for the petition form
Mt Hood Community College
Admission, Registration and Records Office
26000 SE Stark
Gresham, OR 97030
Written notice stating the outcome of the petition request will be mailed to the student. Students will be notified within 6 (six) weeks of the date that the petition is received.
NOTE: Students who received financial aid will not receive a refund. If they have received their financial aid, they must contact the Financial Aid Office at 503-491-7262 about any changes made to their class schedule that may affect their financial aid status.