Family Resources

Family Resources

Childcare Providers

MHCC Child Development Center provides good quality on-campus childcare, but unfortunately there are limited slots and many students cannot afford the minimum costs (you must pay for 20 hours per week whether you use those hours or not). Contact the center for more information, and enquire about scholarships. Some students do use the Center. 503-491-7169
MHCC Head Start (ages 3-5) and Early Head Start (ages infant to 3) provides free, comprehensive, high quality child development services to low income families. The program may have a waiting list for services (the best time for application is in the spring), but applications are accepted for their waiting list. 503-491-6111
Child Care Resource and Referral provides child care information and referrals for parents seeking care and resources for providers caring for young children. They also offer provider trainings and assistance with child care subsidies. 503-548-4400
MHCC Health and Wellness Resource Center Childcare Listings (PDF format)    

Before and After School Programs

Medallion School Partnerships provides onsite childcare in the Gresham-Barlow and David Douglas elementary schools. They do offer scholarships. 503-254-9785
YMCA (Gresham area) provides before and after school childcare for school-age children at different locations throughout the metropolitan area. They do offer scholarships. 503-327-0007
Local School Districts
Contact your local school district to find out about free or low cost programs. Some schools operate the SUN Program, which provides some free before and after school classes and programs.

Money for Child Care

MHCC Child Care Scholarships-
The college occasionally offers child care scholarships if they have funds. Check at the Financial Aid office or on the college website to see if there are scholarships available. These are posted and applied for early in fall term only. Selections are made by lottery.
Student Child Care Program-
The state occasionally offers funds for childcare for student parents through this program. Funds are limited and often temporary. You must apply for this assistance, and sometimes there is a long wait. It’s worth checking out the status of the program. Some students have waited a year, but they did get the help. Check the state Department of Human Services website to see if any childcare scholarships are currently available for student parents.
Financial Aid-
Student parents who are eligible for federal financial aid may apply for additional student loans for child care. If you want to borrow funds for this purpose, talk to your financial aid coordinator and fill out a special child care form.
Tax Benefits-
There are a variety of tax credits, exemptions and deductions available to student parents, including the earned income credit and deductions for student loan interest. Talk to your tax advisor to make sure you are getting all the benefits to which you are entitled now and in the future!


Janus Youth Program   503-233-6090
© 2014 Mt. Hood Community College | 26000 SE Stark St. | Gresham, OR 97030 | 503-491-6422
 Last Modified: 11/7/2014 12:41:04 PM