• Academic Advising FAQ

  • Where is the Academic Advising and Transfer Center (AATC) located?
     The AATC is located inside the Student Services HUB in AC2253.
    Who should see an AATC academic adviser and when?
    AATC advisers meet with students who have General Studies, Education, or Health Professions as their declared major, or who are Undecided. Students are encouraged to meet with an adviser prior to open registration each term. The AATC tends to get busier towards the start of classes, so planning ahead is highly encouraged.
    In addition to class advising, how can AATC advisors assist me in my educational journey at MHCC?

    Academic Advisers can also assist with understanding the limited and restricted entry program application process, and provide information on placement testing, degree options and general College policies and procedures.
    Other advising services for students include:

    • Developing an education plan.
    • Evaluating (unofficial) course work from MHCC and other colleges and universities. For official transcript evaluation, registered students should fill out the Transfer Evaluation Request Form.
    • Creating first term schedules.
    • Clarifying academic policies and procedures.
    • Providing information about degree requirements and transfer options.
    • Making referrals to campus resources.
    • Providing demonstrations for online services and DARS, audit reporting system.
    • Changing a major or degree type
    What should I do before I see an adviser?
    To make your advising session as productive as possible:
    • Submit a general college admissions form.
    • Have your prior college coursework evaluated. Submit a Transfer Evaluation Request Form .
    • Become familiar with your degree requirements by viewing the MHCC catalog.
    • Spend time working out a sample schedule for the upcoming term. You know best what days and times you are available to take courses.
    • If you're planning to transfer, research different colleges and universities.
    • Make a list of your questions. Front desk staff at the AATC can often answer your questions!
    • If you're planning on completing one of MHCC's areas of study, be sure to contact that department and meet with the program's adviser, if available.
    • Check out our Advising Appointment Tips page for additional suggestions
    Who should I see if I need help choosing a major or would like to explore career options?
    Contact the Career Planning and Counseling Center for help choosing a major, talking about career options and goals, or about personal concerns.
    What if I don't know what my major is going to be?
    It is all right to start out undecided. Many of our students do. Initially, you can begin fulfilling requirements for any degree by taking writing, math, social science, and humanities courses. You can do some exploring by taking classes in areas of interest. You can also get formalized help deciding on an educational/career plan that is right for you by taking HD110 or HD208, Career and Life Planning courses.
    What are the drop/withdraw deadlines for this term?
    Please visit the Registration Calendar online for current information.
    Do I need to take the College Placement Test (CPT) for reading, writing, and math?
    If you plan on taking any courses that require a reading, writing, or math prerequisite then yes. Most courses require a certain level of reading, writing, and math. View the Testing Services website for options on meeting these requirements.
    How do I know if the classes I am taking at MHCC will transfer to the college of my choice?
    There are several ways of obtaining an answer to this question. First of all, if you are transferring to a public four-year university in Oregon, you can complete MHCC's Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree. This degree transfers as a block to all the four-year public schools and many private schools in Oregon. The degree fulfills the transfer school's lower-division general education requirements and guarantees you junior status for registration purposes. However, this degree is not ideal for all majors. Consult with your faculty adviser to decide if this is the best degree option for you.
    What if I don't plan to earn a degree before I transfer?
    Resources for determining course by course equivalencies for transfer include online equivalency tables found at the transfer school's website, college catalogs which include course descriptions as well as requirements for particular majors, and transfer advising guides located in the Academic Advising and Transfer Center and on the MHCC website. Be sure to consult your adviser if you are having difficulty determining what courses will fulfill requirements at the transfer school.
    Will I be able to finish my degree in two years?
    The reality for most students is that it takes more than two years to earn a degree. Factors influencing degree completion timelines include the need to work at least part-time, the need for skill-building coursework particularly in mathematics, and required prerequisite coursework for many programs. We suggest making an appointment to meet with an adviser in the Academic Advising & Transfer Center to develop an education plan. The plan will provide you with a realistic estimate of when you will complete your degree.
    What are Limited or Restricted Entry Programs?

    Limited Entry means that you must apply to the program before beginning core classes in the major. These programs have varying entrance requirements that must be met prior to enrollment. Once you meet these requirements, you will be admitted to the program on a first-come, first-served space available basis. It is all right to start taking the general education courses listed in the catalog for that program prior to formal admission. It is only the core courses that are limited.

    Restricted Entry programs have an application process. However, unlike limited entry programs, there is no guarantee of admission to restricted entry programs. Applicants are evaluated upon a variety of factors including prior academic coursework grades, completion of specified courses, related work experience, sometimes an interview etc. A set number of applicants per year are selected for the program.

    What do I do if I am on Academic Suspension?
    Students are required to submit an Academic Suspension Reinstatement request form. See the Resources tab for the suspension appeal form.