• AR-4080-E: Emergency Procedure Injury or Illness

  • Section 4000: Facilities/Risk Management
    Emergency Procedure Injury or Illness
    Administrative Regulation: AR-4080-E
    President’s Cabinet (PC) Approval: 5/7/96
    Revised: 8/11/98

    In the event of injury or illness to any staff member or student, the following procedures will be used to provide immediate assistance:

    1. Emergencies – all College locations
      1. In case of an emergency illness or accident, the nearest person should render first aid and call the emergency number, 7911 or “503-491-7911” (Gresham campus) or 911 (aquatic center and other locations), as soon as possible.
      2. Notify public safety of the incident by calling (503) 491-7310.
      3. When calling 7911 or “503-491-7911” or 911, the caller should remain calm and be prepared to provide the operator with the following information:
        1. Caller’s name and telephone extension;
        2. Location of victim;
        3. Condition of victim and special medical information if known;
        4. Type and degree of injury and part of body affected.
      4. The victim should not be moved if there is the slightest possibility that this could cause further injury.  A public safety officer (Gresham campus) will determine whether 911 should be called and will be responsible for immediate care of the victim.  All public safety officers have standard First Aid training.
    2. First Aid
      A campus public safety officer will respond to all emergency medical problems on the Gresham campus.  The officer will treat injuries with basic first aid only and will notify the emergency response system (911) if further assistance is required. 
    3. Reports
      It is the responsibility of the person taking charge of an emergency situation to make certain the Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) Incident/Injury Report Form is completed in detail and forwarded promptly to the environmental health and safety office, facilities management.  The environmental health and safety officer will send copies of the report to the Area Manager and MHCC’s insurance company.
    4. Mt. Hood Community College District Employment-Related Accident and/or Injuries
      1. If the worker seeks medical treatment for the injury, the worker and Manager must complete a State of Oregon Workers’ and Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease / Illness (Form 801), which is available from the human resources office or on the HR Web page.  This form must be completed immediately, or as soon as the injury will permit the completion of this required report.
      2. Workplace accidents or injuries will be investigated by the environmental health and safety officer and/or the risk manager, and an Accident Investigation Report will be reviewed.
    5. Transport
      Sick or injured persons in the need of medical treatment will be transported only by emergency medical transport vehicles.  College employees are not permitted to transport injured or sick students or personnel using personal or College owned vehicles.