• Admissions: AR-7080-A

  • Section 7000: Students
    Administrative Regulation: AR-7080-A

    President’s Cabinet (PC) Approval: 9/18/84
    Revised: 8/11/98
    Admission of all students is centralized in the Admissions, Registration and Records Office. New students registering for credit bearing coursework must pay a one-time, nonrefundable admission fee. This fee will be added to the student’s first billing statement.
    1. General Admission
      Mt. Hood Community College has an open-entry general admission policy and welcomes all students who can benefit from instruction regardless of their educational background. Some programs have additional admission requirements. See Limited/Restricted-Entry Programs below.
    2. Underage Students – credit coursework Persons under 18 years of age who have not graduated from high school, have not been released from compulsory attendance, or have not obtained a GED, must follow special admissions procedures to enroll.
    3. Students Under Age 15 and Under Initial Enrollment New students age 15 and under, must see the vice president of student success and enrollment management or designee, prior to initial registration. To make an appointment and obtain the necessary forms, contact the administrative assistant at 503-491-7317.

      The decision as to whether the student will be allowed to enroll will be final. The instructor(s) in the division(s) in which the student is taking classes will be notified.

    4. Students Age 15 and Under Returning Enrollment Students will need to obtain an adviser’s signature on each registration form before they may register. These returning students do not have to see the vice president of enrollment management and student success or designee unless the student is not making satisfactory academic progress as defined by the college.
    5. Students Age 16 and 17 Initial Enrollment
      Students who have not graduated from high school, or have not been released from compulsory attendance, or have not obtained a GED must do the following:
      1. Meet with an academic adviser in the academic advising and transfer center inside the student services center prior to registration in any class
      2. Take the College Placement Test if deemed necessary by the adviser+
      3. Complete the “High School Permission Form.” This form includes the “Release Agreement for Potential Injury and Liability” and is valid for 12 months.
    6. Returning Enrollment
      These students follow the same guidelines for registration as students 18 years of age and older. See Step 5.
    7. Home-Schooled Students Under Age 18
      Home-schooled students will follow one of the specific procedures as outlined for ‘Students Age 15 and Under’ or for ‘Students Age 16 and 17’.
    8. Students under Age 18 and Released from compulsory attendance
      Students, who have been released from compulsory attendance, must:
      1. Submit the “Release from Compulsory Attendance Form” to the Admissions, Registration and Records Office. This form is obtained from the student’s resident high school district.
      Note: These students follow the same guidelines for ‘General’ admissions.
    9. Financial Aid Eligibility of Under-Age Students
      For the purposes of financial aid eligibility, “underage” students are not “regular” students and are therefore not aid eligible. Regular students are defined as degree seeking students. Students concurrently enrolled in high school and MHCC are by federal regulation ineligible for financial aid. If a student is age 16 or older, has been released from compulsory high school attendance and has completed a GED and/or completes the College Placement Test to meet the “Ability to Benefit” requirements, they may be aid eligible. The Office of Financial Aid will make the final determination of aid eligibility status based on documentation provided by the student.
    10. Under-Age Students - non-credit coursework
      Any student under the age of 18 may take non-credit classes, regardless of age, without special approval of MHCC staff. However, their parent or guardian must sign a “Release Agreement for Potential Injury or Liability Form.” This form is available in the Admissions, Registration and Records Office; the Academic Advising and Transfer Center; or the website. This form will be kept on file in the Admissions, Registration and Records Office.
    11. International Students
      To be considered for admission to Mt. Hood Community College, international students must submit the following to the Admissions, Registration and Records Office:
      1. International Student Application, MHCC Student Admission Form and the non-refundable application fee
      2. Financial Statement, Affidavit of Support and official supporting financial documents.
      3. Documentation of Measles vaccination and Tuberculosis testing
      4. Photocopies of the passport ID page
      5. Proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways:
        1. Submit an official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 450 (paper-based test) or 133 (computer-based test).
        2. Attendance at an American high school for at least one year with a 2.00 grade point average (GPA) and placement into ENL courses or above on the Mt. Hood Community College Placement Test (CPT).
        3. Successful completion of an English Language Program with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
        4. Transfer students from an accredited United States college or university who have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 2.00.
      6. Students transferring from another US institution must submit a Transfer Clearance form from the current school, a copy of their I-20 and official transcripts.
      7. All international students holding an F-1 visa must provide proof of health and accident insurance before being enrolled at Mt. Hood Community College.
    12. Co-Admission – Mt. Hood Community College/Portland State University
      Through a special admission process, students can be admitted to both institutions as they pursue their freshman and sophomore years at MHCC.
      1. Co-admitted students enjoy:
        1. One application for co-admission
        2. Academic advising from both institutions
        3. Library privileges at both institutions
        4. Coordinated financial aid and scholarships
        Applications and information are available at the Mt. Hood Community College website, www.mhcc.edu/admissions.
    13. Other Co-Admission Programs Similar programs are available with Eastern Oregon University and Marylhurst University. The application materials are available on the MHCC website, www.mhcc.edu/admissions.
    14. Limited or Restricted-Entry Programs
      Some of our programs have enrollment limits and/or other requirements before a student may register. These programs require special application procedures.

      Application packets include the information and forms necessary for applicants to apply for the program in which they are interested. Only completed packets returned by the deadline and meeting minimum criteria will be considered. The return of an admission packet does not guarantee that the applicant has satisfied minimum criteria. The Admissions, Registration and Records Office will notify applicants of their status within 30 days after the completion of the selection process.

    15. Limited-Entry Programs
      Limited-Entry Programs generally begin once a year in the fall term. Applicants are admitted on a space available basis after academic criteria has been met.
    16. Restricted-Entry Programs
      Applicants for a restricted-entry program must complete the admissions application procedures and meet program criteria before being considered for acceptance into the program. In addition, each restricted-entry program has a non-refundable application fee due at time of application.
    17. Adult High School Diploma
      Applicants for the Adult High School Diploma (AHSD) must be at least 18 years of age, unless they are referred by their district high school and are exempt from compulsory public/private attendance. If exempt from compulsory attendance, the student must present a release form from their high school.

      The student must attend an orientation session at which time they will submit a registration form and high school transcript, learn more about the program and meet their program adviser. It is advised to take the College Placement Test (CPT) prior to the orientation.

      The student must meet Mt. Hood Community College’s Reading, Mathematics and Writing competency requirements prior to receiving a diploma. Competency will be demonstrated by placement in RD115 or completion of RD90 with a passing grade; placement in MTH60 or completion of MTH20 with a passing grade; placement in WR115 or WR101 or completion of WR90 with a passing grade.