|Section 6000: Instruction
Academic Freedom and Tenure
Board Policy: 6040
|Board of Education (BE)
Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) fosters and protects the rights and responsibilities associated with academic freedom and tenure as outlined in this policy, MHCC Collective Bargaining Agreements and constitutional law.
Within the framework of the orderly processes of our democratic constitutional society, the faculty of MHCC will have freedom to consider all issues that contribute to the development of students.
Issues selected for study should:
- Contribute to the prescribed course of study and/or the general education program of the College;
- Be of sufficient interest to encourage participation by the students;
- Provide a balanced opportunity for critical thinking, tolerance and understanding of conflicting points of view;
- Be one about which sufficient information is available to allow for discussion and evaluation on a factual and reasonable basis; and
- Provide an opportunity to reconsider assumptions and claims and allow students to reach their own conclusions.
END OF POLICY
United States Constitution, Amendment I
Oregon Constitution, Article 1
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Standard 4.A.7
MHCC Collective Bargaining Agreement with Full-Time Faculty Members
MHCC Collective Bargaining Agreement with Part-Time Faculty Members