|Section 9000: Board By-Laws
Responsibilities of the Individual Board Member
Board Policy: 9060
|Board of Education (BE)
The basic function of a Board member is policy-making and not administrative. Board members leave to the president the execution of policy and methods used to enforce the provisions of the policy.
A Board member's guide will take into consideration the following guidelines as good practice:
- Request the opinion of others and graciously accept and support the principle of "majority rule" in Board decisions;
- Refer all complaints or problems to the president's office and discuss them at a Board meeting only after failure of administrative solution. Also refer personal criticism of any College operation directly to the president rather than to other College personnel;
- Require all College business transactions be on an ethical and above-board basis;
- Refuse to use or permit the use of a Board member's position for personal gain or for personal prestige;
- Decline to interject personal problems into Board consideration; and
- Refuse to participate in secret meetings that are not official and to which all members have not been invited.
END OF POLICY
ORS 162.015 - 162.035
ORS 162.405 - 162.425