General Transfer Information

Mt. Hood Community College is an excellent starting place for students who wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree. MHCC students can complete all or most of the general education requirements for both public and private colleges and universities. In addition, MHCC’s transfer subject areas allow students to begin work on the requirements of their chosen majors. The advantages of starting a four-year program at MHCC include smaller classes, lower costs, instructors’ focus on teaching excellence, and the availability of courses for improvement of skills in reading, writing and mathematics.

MHCC Transfer Programs
Degree Requirements
Scholarship Information

Planning for Transfer

Different colleges and universities have different general education and graduation requirements. Therefore, it is vital to plan ahead for transfer by reviewing catalogs and transfer advising guides for the various transfer schools. The MHCC Academic Advising and Transfer Center has information on colleges and universities and the degrees that they offer.

Planning for transfer is an important part of one’s educational preparation. For example, some intended majors may require an early start on mathematics, or other courses. Certain majors include essential coursework at the sophomore level, so students may need to be attending their transfer schools after only one year at MHCC. Professional academic advisors, faculty advisors, and counselors are available to help students develop educational plans that will meet the requirements of their chosen majors and transfer schools

Transfer Departments and Advisors

Transfer majors may lead toward hundreds of potential careers. The subject areas for transfer study are listed below.

Students with a declared major are assigned faculty advisors. Division contact phone numbers are listed below; however, students should determine who their assigned advisor is and contact that person directly. The staff in Admissions, Registration and Records or the Academic Advising and Transfer Center can provide the referral for the student’s specific advisor. Advisors in major areas are assigned to assist students with appropriate educational planning, selection of transfer schools, and keeping updated on changing requirements and standards. Lists of advisors for all majors are updated annually.

The Academic Advising and Transfer Center - 503-491-7315

  • General Studies

Allied Health - 503-491-7180

  • Dental Hygiene
  • Pre-professional Studies
    • Medical Technology
    • Nursing
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Physical Therapy

Business - 503-491-7196

  • Business (AS-OT)
  • Business Administration: Accounting
  • Hospitality and Tourism Management

Career Planning and Counseling Center

  • Undeclared and/or exploring majors

Health and Physical Education - 503-491-7452

  • Outdoor Recreation Leadership and Tourism
  • Physical Education/Exercise and Sport Science

Industrial Technology - 503-491-7470

English, Language and Speech - 503-491-7290

  • Communications
  • English
  • International Studies
  • Journalism
  • Modern Languages

Engineering and Computer Science  - 503-491-7470

  • Computer Science
  • Engineering (Pre-professional)

Mathematics - 503-491-7292

  • Mathematics

Performing Arts - 503-491-6969

  • Music
  • Theater

Science - 503-491-7364

  • Biological Sciences
    • Biology
    • Botany
    • Entomology
    • Microbiology
    • Zoology
  • Chemistry/Biochemistry
  • Environmental Science
  • Fish and Wildlife Science
  • Forest Resources Management
  • Geology
  • Pre-professional Studies
    • Chiropractic
    • Dentistry
    • Medicine
    • Optometry
    • Pharmacy
    • Physicians Assistant
    • Veterinary Medicine
  • Physics

Social Science - 503-491-7480

  • Anthropology
  • Criminology
  • Economics
  • Education
  • General Social Science
  • Geography
  • History
  • Law (pre-professional)
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology

Visual Arts - 503-491-7309

  • Art

Academic Advising and Transfer Center

One of the most efficient and effective ways to learn about specific transfer programs at colleges and universities is to visit prospective schools on-line. Students are welcome to use the computers in the advising center to explore their options. Visiting web sites is a great first step. Most colleges post everything you need to know and the professional academic advisors who staff the Advising Center are happy to assist and answer questions.

Transfer Days

Each fall, winter and spring term, representatives from colleges and universities visit MHCC for Transfer Days. These conveniently scheduled and located “fairs” give students the opportunity to investigate several colleges at one time. Personal contact with college representatives offers a chance to ask for detailed information about transfer subjects and procedures. For information on upcoming Transfer Days, students may contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center in AC 2182, or call 503-491-7315.

There are also regularly scheduled workshops for students who seek to understand the transfer process and who wish to plan accordingly.

Associate of Arts-Oregon Transfer Degree

This is a degree designed for students planning to complete an associate’s degree before transferring into a bachelor’s degree program at one of Oregon’s public universities (University of Oregon and Oregon State University; Eastern, Western, and Southern Oregon Universities; Portland State University; Oregon Institute of Technology). All of these universities accept the AA-OT as a “block transfer,” enabling a student to enter as a junior with all of the transfer school’s lower division general education requirements met. The AA-OT offers students the flexibility to choose courses that interest them and still meet requirements at their transfer schools (see the AA-OT degree requirements on page 10 of the printed catalog).

A limited number of private and out-of-state institutions also accept the AA-OT. These include Concordia University, Pacific University, Warner Pacific College, George Fox University and Marylhurst University in the Portland area, as well as Western Baptist College, BYU - Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific University, Boise State University, Seattle Pacific University, and Washington State University - Vancouver. Some of these schools have unique general education requirements that must also be met. Advisors and counselors can assist students planning for those courses.

Associate of Science – Oregon Transfer in Business

The AS/OT-Business is designed for business majors planning to transfer to a baccalaureate degree program at four-year institutions in the Oregon University System (OUS). It does not guarantee admission to the Business school/program of any OUS institution. Any student who holds the AS/OT - Business degree transferring to any institution in the Oregon University System, will have met the lower-division general education requirements for that institution’s baccalaureate degree programs. Students will also have junior standing for admission and registration purposes.

Associate of Science

The Associate of Science degree is designed for students who plan to transfer and complete a Bachelors of Science degree at a four-year institution. The degree requirements allow students more flexibility in course selection allowing them to focus on their discipline requirements. NOTE: Completion of this degree does not guarantee that all lower-division General Education requirements have been met for a baccalaureate degree (i.e., this is not a block transfer degree as is the AA/OT). In selecting courses for this degree, students are highly encouraged to consult the specific transfer curriculum pages in this catalog, the faculty advisor, and the institution to which they intend to transfer to determine if it is an appropriate choice.

The Associate of General Studies Degree

The Associate of General Studies degree may be a useful alternative for direct transfer students (see degree requirements on pages 7-8 of the printed catalog). This flexible degree option enables a student to complete an associate’s degree that is tailored to the general education requirements of the transfer school. Students must exercise caution in using the AGS option, as the degree does not guarantee transferability of courses completed. Educational planning for the Associate of General Studies should be done with the help of an advisor or counselor.

Direct Transfer

Transfer without a degree from MHCC is also a viable option for MHCC students. Students in certain majors may need to transfer after one year in order to take advantage of critical major courses offered in the sophomore year. Or, a student may select a major and transfer school, then take only the specific courses required for that major and/or college. When a student opts for direct transfer, MHCC courses are evaluated and accepted on a course-by-course basis by the transfer school.

Direct transfer students must meet the transfer schools’ Freshman or transfer admission requirements. Catalogs from transfer institutions contain information about credit-hour and grade point average requirements and transfer application procedures.

It is each student’s responsibility to learn the program requirements of any prospective transfer school, and to keep up to date on changes in those requirements. Therefore, students should periodically contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center and/or the transfer schools for updates.

Successful Transfer

Success in the transfer process is largely the result of careful planning and attention to the requirements of transfer colleges. Transfer success is a student’s individual responsibility. However, prudent use of available resources and advising can help to ensure smooth transition to a four-year institution. Students can benefit from following these tips for successful transfer:

  • Plan Ahead: Enroll in HD100: College Success and/or contact an advisor during your first term at MHCC to develop an education plan. If you need help with choosing a major or career, enroll in HD110 or HD208.
  • Maintain Contact: Establish early contact with admissions representatives and major advisors at MHCC and transfer colleges. Keep in touch with them in order to keep up to date on major and transfer requirements.
  • Know the Rules: Pay attention to GPA and transfer credit policies, application deadlines and both general education and major course requirements of transfer schools.
  • Confirm Transferability of Courses: Not all 100-200 level courses transfer to all four-year schools. Transfer colleges have the “last say” on transferability.
  • Utilize Transfer Resources: This catalog, the Transfer Center, quarterly Transfer Days; and MHCC faculty advisors, academic advisors, and counselors are key sources of information and guidance.
  • Ask for Help: Make sure you have current and complete information; ask for what you need to complete the transfer process successfully.
© 2014 Mt. Hood Community College | 26000 SE Stark St. | Gresham, OR 97030 | 503-491-6422
 Last Modified: 10/21/2010 09:35:14 AM