• Dental Hygiene Program FAQ

  • Important Note: Some external links may be inaccessible. People requiring accommodations due to a disability should contact Accessible Education Services at 503-491-6923 or aes@mhcc.edu.

    Do I need to have worked in the field prior to applying?

    No work experience is needed in order to apply, however applicants do need to have a minimum of 20 hours shadowing/observation time in a dental setting. Check the Application Process & Admissions Detail page for more information. Applicants who have previous dental care experience can earn points at the time of interviews based on the type and length of experience.

    What organizations are approved for Dental Hygiene volunteer work?

    We highly encourage students to seek Dental Hygiene volunteer work and below are approved outreach organizations.

    Compassion Connect (events held all year long)

    Compassion Gresham (June 8, 2019 / September 7, 2019 / December 7, 2019)

    Compassion Sandy (June 22, 2019)

    Medical Teams International (events held all year long)

    Binational Health Fair (October 5, 2019)
    Binational Health Fair

    Can I work while I am in the program?
    The program is extremely rigorous. It is strongly advised to not work while you’re in the program. If you must work, let us help you make an action plan to see what’s appropriate for your situation. Students are also advised to not make large life changes while you’re in the program (i.e. getting married, have children, etc.) due to the time commitment needed to be successful.
    What happens if I fail a class while in the program?
    Let us first say that this happens extremely infrequently. We work hard to insure a student gets assistance should their academics be substandard. Students do not have the opportunity to repeat core dental hygiene coursework—at all. This is why we maintain such stringent admissions standards. With students unable to repeat coursework, we have to know you can handle the rigor of this program. Failure to pass all program courses with a grade of C or better can and usually results in expulsion from the program.
    I took my Chemistry courses at a different institution. Can this fulfill the admission requirements?

    For the purpose of the Dental Hygiene admission requirement only, the courses listed below from the stated institutions can be accepted in lieu of CH112 or CH106.

    • CHEM& 121 and CHEM& 131 from Washington colleges.
    • CH121/CH122/CH123 from Oregon State University
    • CH102 from Portland Community College
    • CH112 from Clackamas Community College
    Can a higher chemistry series fulfill the Chemistry requirement?
    Yes, CH221/CH222/CH223 will satisfy this requirement.
    At MHCC, I took CH112 to meet the admission requirement. Can I still use the CH112 to meet the Chemistry application requirement?
    Yes! CH112 will meet the Chemistry application requirement. This will be acceptable for admission purposes for Fall term entrance until 2021.
    What will I have to do after I am accepted into the program?

    Immunizations - Accepted students must complete a Measles Immunization Clearance Certificate for School Attendance Form prior to the specified deadline established after admissions into the program. Students must provide documentation of two doses of the measles (rubeola), mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine or provide positive antibody test results for measles (rubeola), mumps, and rubella as well as polio. Students must also demonstrate they test negative for tuberculosis (TB).

    Criminal background checks and drug testing - The program requires students to complete a criminal background check and drug screening after acceptance. Please note, this drug screening will check for drugs that contain, amphetamines, barbiturates, opioids, benzodiazepines and marijuana. If you are taking any prescribed medication that may contain these drugs you will need to meet with the program director before completing the drug screen. If you have concerns about your background and success in the program, please attend an informational session to discuss your concerns with program faculty.

    If you have a criminal history, we strongly encourage potential applicants to call the program director at 503-491-7128 and/or the Oregon Board of Dentistry at 971-673-3200 and inquire about whether or not licensure is possible in your situation. It is often handled on a case-by-case basis at the time of licensing application, so do not wait until you have completed your education only to find that you may be ineligible for licensure, which is required for employment.

    Orientation for accepted– A mandatory program orientation will be held for accepted students in late spring / early summer each year. Attendance is required.

    How much does the program cost?
    Item* Cost
    Instruments &equipment includes loupes & light, ultrasonic scaler, curing light & handpiece $7,500
    Uniforms / Name Tag / Safety Glasses and miscellaneous clinic expenses and supplies 680
    Immunizations and Background Check 180
    Nitrous Oxide Sedation course 450
    Books (2 yrs./DH only) 900
    Licenses – National, Western Regional Boards & Oregon Licensure 3,300
    Professional Dues 340
    Current Lab/Clinic Fees 7,800
    College Service Fee ($49/term x 7 terms) + Access Fee ($39/term x 7 terms) 616
    Tuition (approximate and based on the current tuition rate as of Fall 2019).
    To view the current tuition rate, visit www.mhcc.edu/tuition .
    Grand total with fees, equipment, books, insurance, and immunizations $33,840
    *Note: These costs are approximate and are subject to change. Students are responsible for transportation costs to clinical practicum sites. Costs are based on 7 quarters (two years). Books, licensure fees and travel are not included in financial aid reimbursable expenses.
    Can I use my diploma copy as proof of college degree earned?

    No. For a college degree, you must submit an official college transcript showing the degree earned. This includes foreign transcripts, see https://www.mhcc.edu/internationaltranscript.