To assist students with accomplishing academic goals, the college supports the process of reviewing the academic progress of all students registered for credit courses. Academic progress is defined as achieving a term grade point average (GPA) of 2.00.
The Purpose of the Standard
To assist each student with accomplishing his/her educational goal by:
- Alerting the student and the college of academic difficulties or deficiencies.
- Providing the opportunity for the college to be of greater assistance to the student in setting and achieving academic goals.
- Assisting the student in utilizing the support services of the college.
- Creating an atmosphere in which the student may become successful in his/her pursuit of an education.
Academic Review and Referral
At the end of each term, the college reviews the grade point average achieved by each student. If a student's term GPA falls below 2.00, the student is notified of their academic status and referred to the Academic Advising and Transfer Center for academic
assistance. The following statuses can be assigned:
See below for further details.
Students who achieve a term GPA between 1.50 and 1.99 are placed on academic warning.
Students are encouraged to meet with an academic adviser immediately to determine the steps the student can take to raise their GPA the next term. The student's academic status will be adjusted the following term depending on their academic performance:
- Academic Warning status is removed if the student earns a 2.00 GPA or higher for the term or higher
- Academic Probation status is assigned if the student does not earn a minimum of a 2.00 GPA for the term.
Students are placed on Academic Probation if:
They earn a 1.49 GPA or lower for a term
They achieve a GPA of 1.99 or lower for two consecutive terms
Students are also strongly encouraged to take a HD101 course (click here for FAQ’s) and meet with an academic adviser to determine steps for raising their GPA the next term. The student's academic status will
be adjusted the following term depending on their academic performance: Academic Probation status is removed if the student earns a 2.00 GPA for the term. Academic Suspension for one term is assigned if the student does not earn a minimum of a 2.00
GPA for the term.
Students are placed on Academic Suspension if they earn a term GPA of 1.99 or lower while they are on Academic Probation. A student will be prevented from enrolling while on suspension.
Students may appeal their suspension if they believe there are compelling reasons for reinstatement from suspension.
Steps to Appeal
- Obtain a Suspension Appeal form from the Academic Advising and Transfer Center.
- Students are required to follow the instructions for appealing their suspension.
The Suspension Appeal Review Committee (SARC) will render one of the following decisions:
Appeal Approved: The student is expected to fulfill the mandatory interventions outlined by the SARC committee. During the term that the student is returning they will be placed on suspended on probation status until Satisfactory Academic
Progress has been achieved. If the student does not achieve Satisfactory Academic Progress, they will be suspended for not less than one term and must complete a new suspension appeal.
Appeal denied: The student is suspended for not less than one term and must complete a new suspension appeal.