• Student Employment Orientation

  • Let's get started. During this orientation, you will learn what you need to know about student employment at MHCC. Click here for the Student Employee Handbook.

    You will be asked to provide identification and documentation to verify that you are eligible to work in the United States.

    Federal Law requires that every person employed in the US complete an I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) and a W-4 form.

    You must have a picture ID and other documents that prove you can work in the United States to finish this process and accept employment.

    MHCC has two types of student employment: Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Student Aide (SA). Students may work as both SA and FWS in some circumstances.

    You should plan on spending an hour or two reading this information.

    Getting Started!

    MHCC has two kinds of student workers: Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Student Aid (SA).

    If you have questions after reading this information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at studentemployment@mhcc.edu or 503-491-7262.

    If you do not have Federal Work-Study, then click HERE to jump to the information about Student Aid employment.

    How do I get Federal Work-Study?

    Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When we email you to request paperwork required by the Department of Education, please submit it right away.

    Once we email you and ask you to log on and accept/decline your award offer, contact studentemployment@mhcc.edu to request FWS be added to your financial aid award. If the fund is closed, we will place you on the FWS waiting list.

    If you are eligible, you may receive FWS as part of your financial aid award.

    You must be enrolled in six or more credits each term that you earn FWS.

    Remember: Federal Work-study is a JOB!

    The name “work-study” refers to the experience you will get while working at your FWS work site. This means that you should not study at your work site without your supervisor’s permission.

    Federal Work Study Information

    Satisfactory Academic Progress

    You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress every term you work as an FWS employee.

    You are responsible for understanding the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. If you do not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines for a given term, you may lose your FWS funding for the year.

    What happens when I don’t meet Satisfactory Academic Progress?

    You can be placed on “Warning.”

    We will contact you by email at the end of an unsuccessful term that you are on financial aid warning and to be careful in the next term. If you are not successful in the next term, all financial aid and FWS will be canceled.

    You can be “Aid Denied.”

    Your FWS award will be canceled and your supervisor will be notified to terminate your FWS employment. If your department has SA funding, your continued employment may be approved.

    What happens if I appeal to have my aid reinstated?

    You will not be allowed to work as an FWS until you have filed a Financial Aid Appeal with the OFA and the appeal is approved with FWS reinstated.

    If all FWS funding has been awarded for the year, your FWS may not be reinstated even if your appeal is approved.


    Q. Will my supervisor be flexible with my schedule?

    A. Yes. Supervisors know that you are a student, and that your work schedule cannot conflict with your school or study schedule. However, you are expected to stay in touch with your supervisor if your needs as a student conflict with your assigned shifts. Always call your supervisor if you cannot work due to illness or your need to study.

    Q. I know I can't earn over my work-study award per term. Can I earn less than the award?

    A. Yes. You can earn as little or as much of your award as you would like--as long as you do not earn more than your award.

    Q. Will my work-study earnings be taxed?

    A. Yes. This is a job and your earnings will be taxed.

    Q: What kind of FWS jobs is available?

    FWS jobs are available both on and off campus. The JobList is posted online, listing all available job openings. We always have more FWS jobs than we have students to fill them, so your chances of getting a GREAT job are good.

    If you are interested in working off campus, MHCC has contracts with several non-profit agencies, such as the City of Portland. These jobs are only open to FWS students.

    We also have FWS tutoring positions available in neighborhood elementary schools. Please call the Financial Aid Office at 503-491-7262 if you need more details about off-campus employment opportunities.

    Q: What if I need a different FWS job?

    There are many reasons why you might need to change jobs. As an FWS employee, you have many jobs to choose from.

    If you need a new job, please give your supervisor at least a week’s notice. You may check the current JobList to see what other jobs are available.

    You can also make an appointment with the Financial Aid Adviser/Student Employment, if you ever need to talk about your work assignment.

    Q: How many hours can I work per week?

    You can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic term, and up to 40 hours per week during any school break. You may also work fewer hours per week if you need to meet academic and/or personal goals.

    Your success as a student is more important to us than your role as an FWS employee.

    Q: How much money can I earn each term?

    The amount of money you can earn each term is limited to your FWS award for that term. You may not over-earn your FWS award, and unearned FWS dollars do not transfer to the next term.

    Student Aid Guidelines

    You may work up to 20 hours per week while taking classes, and 40 hours per week during school breaks (limited by department funds). You may only work 1000 hours per academic year (July 1 through June 30). All exceptions to this must be cleared through Student Employment. If you have an FWS award, you must earn all of your FWS dollars for each term before you can earn student Aid dollars.

    You can be a Student Aid (SA) if:

    You are enrolled for six or more credits.
    You have already been offered work by a supervisor.
    You have completed all hiring paperwork and the Student Employment Orientation.

    What kinds of SA jobs are available?

    Because SA workers are paid from department funds, there are only a few of these jobs. Another avenue for pursuing an SA job is to talk to the full-time employees in the many offices on campus. If your skills match a position they have open, you may have found your SA job.

    SA FAQs

    Q. What happens if I’m enrolled in less than six credits?

    A. You may work one term at less than six credits. If you work two terms at less than six credits, your employment status will be changed to part-time hourly (PTH), depending on the availability of department funding.

    Q. What happens if I work more than 1000 hours in an academic year?

    A. Your supervisor will need to contact the Student Employment to get a waiver of the college policy for SA workers.

    Getting the Job: What to do before the Interview?

    Check your school schedule and decide exactly when you can realistically fit in your work hours. Write down those times and take it with you to the interview.

    Check your calendar for the next three months and write down all days you will have to request off—midterms, weddings, baby showers, and vacations.

    Make a list of questions to take to the interview that you need to know—for example, can I eat at my desk? Will I have to do much lifting? Think of what you will need to know to do a good job.

    Choose something to wear that would be considered appropriate student attire. For example, don’t wear a bare midriff top or a tank top to the interview. Your apparel should reflect your knowledge that you will be working in a professional environment.

    What should I do in the interview?

    Remember that you are interviewing the potential supervisor while s/he is interviewing you.

    Don’t be shy. Ask the questions that you prepared the day before. Look around the office and ask about your workstation. Ask about your duties. Be sure you are clear about what will be expected of you.

    Give the supervisor your list of available shifts. Talk about expected days off or special needs you may have.

    Don’t accept the job if you have misgivings about the job responsibilities, the workplace or the supervisor.

    Remember, your success as a student is very important to MHCC, so don’t place yourself in what you might consider a high-stress situation.

    Work Schedules

    Employees are expected to start work promptly at the beginning of their assigned shift.

    You get a 15 minute break for every four hours you work.

    If you work six hours, you must take a 30 minute UNPAID lunch.

    Communicate with your supervisor and co-workers to determine a break schedule that will not impact customer service.

    You must call your supervisor if you cannot get to work. Leave a detailed message if you do not get your supervisor in person.

    Requests for time off should be submitted to your supervisor at least a week in advance.

    Customer Service Standards

    If you are working at an on-campus department, treat students and staff with respect and patience. As an employee of Mt Hood Community College, you should behave in a professional manner. If you don’t know the answer to a question or request, ask your supervisor to step in, or if your supervisor is not available, ask the customer to return when someone can assist him/her.

    Phone etiquette is important. Speak respectfully and clearly. Write down messages accurately. Follow department guidelines for correct phone use.

    If you ever feel that you can no longer control your temper or speak nicely to a customer, immediately excuse yourself and find someone else to step in. Rudeness or bad manners is never acceptable behavior.

    Professionalism in the Workplace

    MHCC expects you to behave in a professional manner. These expectations are:

    • Turn off your cell phone
    • Do not have personal visitors at work
    • Do not use the work phone for personal calls
    • Do not study unless your supervisor says it’s OK
    • Dress appropriately for the work you are doing
    • Never release personal information about students or staff
    • Do not eat at your desk unless your supervisor says it’s OK
    • Do not use the work computer for personal business, such as checking your email or typing an assignment
    Timesheets and Pay Days

    Timesheets are located HERE.

    Time worked should be recorded at the end of each shift.

    Timesheets should never be taken home—leave it in a secure location at the work site.

    Do not use your SS# on your timesheet—use your student ID#.

    Please round up your time to the nearest quarter hour, and indicate that time by .25, .50, or .75.

    Sign your timesheet & give it to your supervisor at the end of the month. S/he will get it to Payroll.

    You are responsible for accurate time-keeping on your timesheet.

    Paydays & Automatic Deposit

    You are paid on the 15th of the month, and you can pick up your paycheck in the Payroll Office (Human Resources on the second floor near the Library). If the 15th falls on a weekend, the Friday before is payday.

    Paychecks can be picked up between 8:30 am and 3:00 pm. If you can’t get to Payroll during those times, your paycheck will be mailed to you at the address listed on your W-4.

    Be sure to inform Payroll if you move so that your checks can be sent to your new address, as well as your W-2 in January.

    Automatic deposit is offered to all MHCC employees. If you wish to set up this option, please stop by Payroll to do this or click HERE to complete the Direct Deposit Payroll Authorization.

    Almost Done!

    After the FERPA training, you can print out the I-9, W-4, Hiring Authorization, FERPA Acknowledgement and Background Check. You then bring those documents to the Office of Financial Aid and present your valid IDs to complete the hiring process (acceptable documents are listed in the I-9 packet).

    If you do not have acceptable ID, you will be asked to return with it. Students without valid ID cannot start working.

    If you are an international student, you need to talk to Student Employment before you can start work.

    FERPA Presentation 1

    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Training

    This information has been designed to provide you with the essential elements of the Mt. Hood Community College policies regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

    Why must I learn about FERPA guidelines?

    We are sharing this information with you so that you will know the MHCC practices, policies, and procedures that should be followed and applied by all employees while carrying out daily responsibilities and duties.

    What is FERPA

    The essence of the act . . .

    FERPA deals specifically with the educational records of MHCC students, 18 years or older. FERPA protects the privacy of each student’s records; records containing a student’s name, social security number or other personally identifiable information, in whatever medium, are covered by FERPA.

    What rights does FERPA cover?

    FERPA deals with an individual’s right to review and inspect his/her educational record.

    FERPA deals with an individual’s right to amend his/her educational record.

    FERPA defines an individual’s right to have control over the disclosure of information from his/her educational record.

    The Basics

    Written consent from the student is required unless the disclosure of information is allowed under FERPA guidelines.

    Students must show picture ID when requesting access to their records.

    Staff—including student employees working in offices with access to student records—must maintain the privacy of student records at all times.

    FERPA Presentation 2

    Important definitions:

    STUDENT: Any individual for whom MHCC maintains educational records. This does not include an individual who has not attended MHCC. An individual who is or has been enrolled in one component of MHCC, who applies for admission to a second unit, has no right to inspect the records accumulated by the second unit until enrolled.

    ELIGIBLE STUDENT: Any student, 18 years and older, who attends or plans on attending MHCC. An Eligible Student MAY BE under 18 years of age under certain circumstances, I.E., taking GED classes or attending college classes with permission of the dean.

    RECORD: Any information or data recorded in any medium (i.e., handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, microfiche or any form of electronic data storage).

    EDUCATIONAL RECORDS: These are student records maintained by MHCC or by a party acting for MHCC. “Educational records” does not include records of instructional, supervisory, administrative, or certain educational personnel that are in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the individual who made the records.

    Who has access to student information?

    MHCC must provide access to current and former students. They have the right to inspect and review their educational records. To gain access, students must follow the following process:

    Begin in the Admissions and Records Office.

    If you are inquiring about records other than your own, you must have a signed and dated written consent by the student. The consent must satisfy the following criteria:

    • the form must specify the specific record(s) to be released,
    • the form must state the specific purpose of the disclosure, and
    • the form must identify specifically to whom the disclosure may be made.

    Are there limitations on a student's right to inspect his/her records?

    There are certain limitations on a student’s right to inspect his/her educational record. Students do not have unlimited access to the following: Financial records of the student’s parents.

    Confidential letters or recommendations placed in the student’s file prior to January 1, 1997.

    Confidential letters or statements of recommendation placed in the record after January1,1975 to which the student has waived his/her right to inspect and review; related to a student’s admission.

    Records containing information about more than one student; access is required to that part of the record that pertains only to the inquiring student.

    FERPA Presentation 3

    When is no consent required for a student to access information?

    MHCC “may” provide access to students’ records to school officials with legitimate educational interests. For clarity, we’ve defined “school officials” and “legitimate educational interest” more specifically below:

    School officials: Persons employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the college has contracted or appointed as its agent; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another school official in performing the official’s task. No “school official” may have access without being questioned as to what is his/her “educational need to know.” Any shared information must meet this reasonable standard.

    Legitimate Educational Interest: A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibilities.

    Based on definitions of “school officials” and “legitimate educational interest,” MHCC may provide access to:

    • Schools in which a student seeks or intends to enroll
    • Federal, state, and local authorities involved with an audit or an Evaluation of Compliance with education programs
    • Various federal and state agencies in connection with financial aid
    • State and local authorities pursuant to a state law adopted before November 1974 requiring disclosure
    • Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of educational institutions
    • Accrediting organizations

    Parents of a dependent student. For FERPA purposes, a dependent student is 18 and/or under 18 and not taking “post-secondary” courses. If under 18 AND taking “post-secondary” courses, parents do not have a right to access records, even though the student is under 18. The FERPA definition of what constitutes a “dependent” is very narrow. All requests for information from parents should be directed to the Admissions and Records Office.

    As a general rule, what can be disclosed without student consent?

    MHCC has chosen to release “Directory Information” to others outside the College. The following information can be released by Admissions and Records or other campus areas unless confidentiality has been requested by the student (student initiated “no disclosure”):

    Student’s enrollment status. Limited to “yes” the student is enrolled or “no” the student is not enrolled. May also include whether the student is enrolled full-time or part-time. Cannot cite how many hours the student is enrolled, but can state MHCC parameters of “less than half-time (0-5), half-time (6-11), and full-time (12+).”

    Verification of certificate or degree earned. Limited to staff verifying what the requesting person is asking. An appropriate response would be: “Are you asking if the student has earned an associate degree from MHCC?” If the answer is “yes”, then the appropriate response would be, “Yes, that student does have an associate degree.”

    Whether the student is participating in officially recognized sports. Limited to verifying “yes” or “no” if the person is participating in the specific sport. Can also include information about height and weight of a student athlete.

    Of all the information MHCC captures, what do we consider “directory information”?

    • Student enrollment status
    • Verification of certificate or degree earned
    • Student’s name

    How can I properly maintain my student records?

    Staff should maintain “proper custody” of student records at all times. Proper custody means:

    • Keeping all student records secured when the “school official” is not present.
    • Keeping student records inaccessible to third parties without student consent by NOT leaving student records on tables, desks or in other areas open to third parties. We also secure computer s so third parties do not have access to student information.
    • Using caution when posting student grades, satisfactory progress or other student records. Use code words or randomly assigned numbers that only the instructor and individual students know. (No names, Social Security Numbers, CARS ID#s, driver’s license numbers or telephone numbers can be used.)
    • Shredding class lists or other educational records with identifiable student information on them.

    Who has appropriate access to student records?

    Students may have access to their records by providing MHCC staff with a photo ID, such as a valid driver’s license, permit or ID card, valid military ID card, valid concealed weapon’s permit, alien registration card, immigration or naturalization documents, passport, valid high school photo ID, or valid workplace photo ID.

    FERPA Presentation 4

    When in doubt . . .

    When processing a student’s request for information, if the “school official” (including work study students) has any doubt about the student’s identity or cannot verify this information, verification from Admissions and Records must be secured prior to the release of information.

    We recommend that requests for student information be referred to Admissions and Records.

    In addition to individual students, who has access to a student’s educational records?


    School officials, with a legitimate educational interest, may have access to a student’s educational record without a student’s written consent. This means that the school official needs access to the information in order to do his/her job. Requests for student information cannot be simply to satisfy one’s curiosity or interests.

    I might receive requests for students’ educational records from external sources. What do I do?

    Requests for information about our students may come from external sources.

    We CANNOT provide access to a student’s educational records without the written release of the student—even if it is a parent or spouse!

    Here’s a brief list of the types and sources of requests you may receive from EXTERNAL sources:

    Requests for letters of recommendation

    Requests from parents or grandparents

    Requests from spouses

    Requests for release of information to the media

    Requests for release of information to relatives or significant others

    Requests for re-disclosure of information (Example of appropriate re-disclosure statement: “The attached information has been forwarded to you at the request of the student with the understanding that it will not be released to other parties. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, prohibits release of this information without the student’s written consent. Please return this material to us if you are unable to comply with this condition of release.”)

    Requests for information on the behalf of deceased students These requests should always be referred to the Admissions and Records Office)

    Requests for release of student information from external sources, such as personal references or a letter of recommendation, . .

    require a signed and dated written consent from the student that:

    specifies the records to be released,

    states the purpose of the disclosure, and

    identifies to whom disclosure may be made.

    FERPA Presentation 5

    All external requests for release of student information must be in writing, stating:

    specific purpose
    specific information
    specific parties
    student signature


    Be dated with a current date no more than 5 days from today’s date

    New regulation for FERPA in relationship to the U.S. Patriot Act

    Disclosure of education records is now allowed when a court approves an application submitted by an Assistant U.S. Attorney General (or higher-ranking federal officer) that contains “special articulable facts” that the education records are relevant to the investigation of or prosecution of terrorism.

    The school does not decide this; the court does. FERPA was amended to allow such disclosure by Section 507 of the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (“USA PATRIOT”) Act, signed by President Bush on October 26, 2001.

    The school does not have to notify students of this access to their records.

    What can happen if MHCC or employees violate the FERPA regulations?

    Enforcement of the Act has been assigned to the Family Policy Compliance Office within the Department of Education.

    The penalty for noncompliance with Federal regulations could result in the withdrawal of Department of Education funds. Action to terminate funding generally will be taken only if compliance cannot be secured by voluntary means.

    Solomon Amendment Disclosure 1998

    The Solomon Amendment requires by law that the college release:
    Student name, educational level, address, academic major, telephone number, degrees received, and date of birth upon request from U.S. military recruiters. If students request that this information not be released, MHCC will not release to military recruiters or other parties except as specified in this notification or upon written permission from the student.

    You have completed FERPA training

    To acknowledge your understanding of the FERPA training, please print the acknowledgment form, sign it and return it the Office of Financial Aid with the other employment paperwork.

    MHCC employees who violate FERPA regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, including the possibility of termination of employment.

    Print out the following forms:

    (All forms are in PDF Format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader Click on the form name to access form)

    • I-9: Complete Section 1, sign and date.
    • W-4: Complete the bottom part of the form with the number of allowances, sign and date
    • Hiring Authorization: Complete Student Information at top of form, sign and date
    • FERPA form: Print your name, sign and date
    • Background Check - All student employees must submit and receive a cleared background check through CastleBranch. Please follow the directions below:
      Order Instructions for MHCC Student Employees
      1. Go to https://mycb.castlebranch.com/
      2. In the upper right hand corner you will see “Place Order.”
      3. Enter the package code—MT29
      4. Create a user name and password
      5. Complete all fields to finish the order
      6. No payment is required to process your order
      7. The Student Employment Coordinator will access the results and notify your supervisor

      For additional assistance, please contact the CB Service Desk at 888-723-4263 or visit https://mycb.castlebranch.com/help

    Come into the Office of Financial Aid to complete the hiring process. Your completed Hiring Authorization will be scanned and emailed to you. Once you receive it, you may start interviewing for your job.