The information below is based on the
application requirements for Fall term 2023 admission. It is provided as
an example to guide potential applicants on the admission process and
application requirements which may be subject to change as program
criteria can change for each new application year.
The Surgical Technology program is restricted entry and applicants to the program must meet certain criteria before their application will be considered. Currently, the program admits 20 students every Fall term.
Important Note: Some external links may be inaccessible. People requiring accommodations due to a disability should contact Accessible Education Services at 503-491-6923 or email@example.com.
The information below is based on application requirements for Fall term 2023 admission. To be eligible to apply, applicants must show they meet the requirements described below by the application deadline date of May 12, 2023.
Phase 1 Admission Requirements
1. Required coursework to app
- WR115 or WR121 with a “C” grade or higher (or placement* into WR121 on or after 4/28/2018)
- MTH058 or MTH065 or higher with a “C” grade or higher (Please note, MTH058 from PCC does not satisfy the math requirement.)
- BI231 Human Anatomy & Physiology I with a “C” grade or higher completed no earlier than Winter term 2016 and no later than Winter term 2023.
- BI234 Microbiology with a “C” grade or higher completed no earlier than Winter term 2016 and no later than Spring term 2023 (this course can still be in progress Spring 2023 but proof of registration needs to be submitted).
*See “Additional Information to meet Admissions Requirements” at the end of this page for placement and transcript guidelines.
2. Prerequisite GPA requirement
Applicants must have a GPA of at least a 2.5 in their math and biology prerequisite courses. Applicants with a 2.0-2.49 prerequisite GPA may apply but priority consideration is given to applicants who have the minimum 2.5 prerequisite GPA.
3. Written Exercise: Surgical Technologist Job Description
Applicants are REQUIRED to complete the written requirements outlined below, saved with their name and MHCC ID number and uploaded with their application. Submissions must be typed in an essay format or bullet points and written in their own words. There is no minimum or maximum word limit as long as all 3 questions are answered.
- Demonstrate that you have researched the profession of Surgical Technology by creating a job description for the Surgical Technologist. The job description must include the following categories:
- Job Title
- Required Qualifications
- Required Personal Characteristics
- Work Hours
- Examples of Places of Employment
- Description of the Working Environment/Conditions
- Duties/Roles and Responsibilities
- Requirements for Obtaining and Maintaining National Certification
- Description of Physical Demands
- Please explain….
- Why you feel that Surgical Technology would be the right profession for you.
- Describe how you meet the required demands of the program and the career for a Surgical Technologist.
- Please provide examples.
- Cite at least three resources (required).
Resources may include employment ads, online resources such as www.glassdoor.com; www.ast.org; www.nbstsa.org;
or interviews with surgical technologists.
4. Online application submission and application fee
The application will be available at https://mhcc.edu/SurgTechApplication once the application opens in January. Applicants must also pay the $35 non-refundable application fee and upload
their payment receipt.
Phase 2 Interview and Proctored Essay
All applications that are considered complete (all required materials submitted) by the application deadline will be evaluated by the program faculty committee to determine the candidates invited to participate in Phase 2. Applicants selected for an interview
will participate in a group style interview and proctored essay. After all interviews are held, up to 20 applicants are officially admitted into the program. Up to 10 qualified candidates will be offered an alternate position in the program. Alternates
are only offered a position in the program if any of the accepted applicants decline a position in the program.
Additional Information to meet Admissions Requirements:
- Students may be able to use the Accuplacer College Placement Test (CPT) or Smarter Balanced scores for meeting the writing skills requirement. Learn more at https://www.mhcc.edu/CoursePlacement.
- Applicants using the Accuplacer College Placement Test (CPT) are encouraged to practice for the test and review English concepts by using Accuplacer’s free study app.
- CPT scores are valid for five years and cannot be older than 4/28/18.
Transcripts must be official (unopened) and issued directly by the institution from which the course(s) were taken. Coursework showing as transferred from one institution to another is not accepted. Official electronic transcripts (e-transcripts such
as Parchment or EDI) submitted via secure electronic delivery service may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. If submitting transcripts by mail, send to:
Mt. Hood Community College – Surgical Technology Application
Admissions, Registration and Records
26000 SE Stark St.
Gresham OR 97030
- Regionally Accredited Institutions: Required for prerequisite courses.
- Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions: Not required.
- AP, CLEP or IB Transcripts/Scores: Required only if using for writing admission requirement and must be issued directly from College Board or International Baccalaureate in a sealed envelope (see https://mhcc.edu/CreditAlternatives).
- Foreign/Non-US Based Educational Transcript: Required only if using to meet admission requirements and must first be evaluated by an outside credential service. The evaluated transcript must be submitted by the application
deadline for the program. For more information, visit: www.mhcc.edu/internationaltranscript. Evaluation processing for foreign transcripts is time consuming, and the process could take up to six weeks. It
is best to start this process early. A foreign bachelor's degree does not fulfill the prerequisite requirements.
- MHCC transcript: Not required, already on file.
Click here for program costs and other considerations.