kids playing

Early Childhood Education and Family Studies - FAQ

Do you still have questions about the program, careers after graduation, or how to get started? Take a look at the frequently asked questions or talk with an advisor to get the help you need.

Frequently Asked Questions

Normally, the early childhood education and family studies degree takes two years of full-time courseworkThe one-year certificate takes one year of full-time study. The child ddevelopment ccareer ppathways certificate takes less than a year of full-time study. Some students take longer because they cannot attend full-time or need support with reading, writing, or math.

Mt. Hood Community College has several student resources on campus to help students connect with employers and find a job placement both during and after their time at MHCC. Learn more through career planning.

If you're 18 or older, you can start without a high school diploma or GED® certificate. But if you haven't finished high school, you can work on it here while beginning your career. Students under 18 without a diploma should talk with an advisor to get the assistance you need to get started.

You can start a course or two without them. But it's best for all students, whether full-time or part-time, to take the placement test soon, especially if you're aiming for a degree or certificate. The test covers reading, writing, and math and is free. To schedule a placement test, contact testing services.

The early education and family studies program begins during the fall term, but if you are starting classes in another term, don’t worry! There still may be courses you can start taking if you’re starting college in a different term. Please contact the program advisors for details.

All in-person classes begin in the late afternoon or evening, except for practicum field experiences which require participation during the day in an early childhood setting. Other early childhood education courses are in hybrid or online format. Not all classes are available at night every term, so meet with an advisor to plan carefully.

Sometimes, yes. Some classes must be taken in order, and some have prerequisites. Check the catalog or talk to an academic advisor to plan your classes.

There's no special application for students in the early childhood education and family studies program, but you must apply to MHCC.

Take the next step with Mt. Hood Community College

Have questions about the Early Childhood Education and Family Studies Program?

Read Early Childhood Education and Family Studies Frequently Asked Questions

Ready to Get Started?

Talk with an Advisor

Apply or Request Information