Students in group study

Economics - FAQ

Do you still have questions about the program, careers after graduation, or how to get started? Take a look at the frequently asked questions or talk with an advisor to get the help you need.

Frequently Asked Questions

The economics transfer major requires eight credit hours to complete and can be done in as little as two terms of study. However, the major can only be awarded as part of the completion of an associate degree at Mt. Hood Community College. Most associate degrees can be done in two years of full-time study. Some students take longer because they can't attend full-time or need help with reading, writing, or math.

The economics transfer major must be completed as part of an associate degree program. In addition to your degree, by completing the economics transfer major program, you will be able to:

  • Understand simple economic ideas
  • Analyze graphs and stats
  • Talk about economic policies
  • Discuss local and global issues

Mt. Hood Community College has several student resources on campus to help students connect with employers and find a job placement both during and after their time at MHCC. Learn more through career planning.

If you're 18 or older, you can start without a high school diploma or GED® certificate. But if you haven't finished high school, you can work on it here while beginning your career. Students under 18 without a diploma should talk with an advisor to get the assistance you need to get started.

You can start a course or two without them. But it's best for all students, whether full-time or part-time, to take the placement test soon, especially if you're aiming for a degree or certificate. The test covers reading, writing, and math and is free. To schedule a placement test, contact testing services.

No, most required economics transfer major classes are available in all regular academic terms, including summer. Please meet with an academic advisor to plan your path to graduation.

Yes, some classes are available at night or online, but it may take you longer to complete your program that way. Not all classes are available at night every term, so meet with an advisor to plan carefully.

Sometimes, yes. Some classes must be taken in order, and some have prerequisites. Check the catalog or talk to an academic advisor to plan your classes.

There's no special application for students in the economics transfer major program, but you must apply to MHCC.

Take the next step with Mt. Hood Community College

Have questions about the Economics Program?

Read Economics Frequently Asked Questions

Ready to Get Started?

Talk with an Advisor

Apply or Request Information