MHCC Board Seeks Next College President
Posted: October 23, 2012
The Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) District Board of Education invites applications for the position of president. The current president, Michael Hay, has announced that he will retire June 30, 2013.
The president serves as the chief executive officer and reports to an elected seven-member board.
- Application materials will only be accepted online at mhcc.edu/president.
- In a letter of application five pages or fewer, candidates must state how they would address the college's challenges and opportunities, and how their own experiences and skills match up with the characteristics desired in its next president.
- Submit a current resume and unofficial transcripts.
- Provide the names, titles, business and home telephone numbers of two supervisors, two direct reports including one classified or support staff, two faculty members and two business or community members.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Since the Search Committee will be finalizing the review of applications after Jan. 4, 2013, submissions are encouraged prior to that date.
- All applications and inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
- For confidential inquiries, contact Community College Search Services (Dr. Michael Viera, search consultant, 503-502-0725; firstname.lastname@example.org). For further inquiries, contact Wendy Patton, MHCC Board of Education Relations, Office of the President, 503-491-6944; email@example.com.
MHCC is employing an open and collaborative process in its search for the next president. The college held a series of forums and an online survey and invited students, employees and community members to submit suggestions regarding skills and experiences desired of the next president. A search committee comprised of a cross section of students, employees and the community will review applications and make a recommendation to the board.
Good News from MHCC
Dave Shields, MHCC district board chair, notes that the college has a lot to celebrate. "We are moving toward a significant milestone in 2016: 50 years of serving students and the community. The board is interested in finding a president that will embrace the long term challenges related to sustaining the college through the next 50 years."
MHCC launched a cutting-edge program fall term 2012: Cybersecurity, and introduced two other new programs within the past couple of years: Health Informatics and Video Game Development. In addition, MHCC is leading the way in "cradle-to-career" education with its collaboration with Head Start on a new Early Childhood Center that opened a year ago. The Center prepares youngsters for entry into kindergarten while their parents attend classes and train for new careers – all on the Gresham Campus.
MHCC is located in Gresham, Ore., 15 miles from downtown Portland and at the entrance to the beautiful Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. MHCC has served more than one million students, hosted a large number of community members on its three campuses for a variety of events and performances, and supported many businesses that rely on the college for workforce training and other education.
MHCC serves a rural, urban and suburban area that includes eight high school districts and portions of three counties. It is the fourth largest community college in Oregon and serves more than 32,000 students each year (47 percent full-time and 53 percent part-time). The average age is 32.
For more information on MHCC, the search for the next president and the application process, please visit https://jobs.mhcc.edu/postings/5704.
MHCCD Board Policies
MHCC Presidential Search Brochure
Application Procedures –
Application Procedures - Presidential Search Brochure
Apply Here –
MHCC Presidential Application