• Mental Health, Social Service and Addiction Counseling FAQ

  • Important Note: Some external links may be inaccessible. People requiring accommodations due to a disability should contact the Disability Services Office at 503-491-6923 or dsoweb@mhcc.edu.

    How do I know what classes to take before I get into the program?
    An academic adviser can help plan out which classes you can take prior to entering the program. Students should also plan on attending an information session to get more specific program details. Information session details can be found on the program home page. Before entering the program, it is highly recommended that students take PSY201, SOC 201, SOC 205, Foreign Language Elective and any college level Lab Science Elective. These are not required for graduation from the program but will assist substantially in student success. Other classes you may take include MTH20, 60, 65, WR121 and WR122, HE202, HE208 and 1 credit of HE/PE.
    How heavy is the workload?
    The answer to this question may be very individual. If you have a job and a family, the workload will be heavier than if you are not working and/or have fewer responsibilities. This is a full time program whereby students take 15‐18 credits per quarter.
    How can I get a better idea of how much time that is?
    A good way to guestimate how much time you will spend studying would be to take the number of credits per week and multiply that by 2 hours of homework per credit. For example: 12 credit hours multiplied by 2 homework hours would equal 24 hours per week. Add the two: 12 hours in school + 24 hours homework = 36 hours per week.
    What career options are out there for me with a two‐year degree?

    While we cannot describe all of the employment opportunities, here is a sample. We have graduates working as Mental Health Technicians at local residential and hospital treatment facilities; Social Service Assistants with Dept. of Human Services; Case Managers with agencies serving the elderly and mentally ill; Counselors in residential treatment facilities for teens and adults; Drug and Alcohol Counselors in a wide variety of human service agencies; Mediation and Negotiation specialists with families; Program Developers and Grant Writers. These are just a FEW of the many opportunities that await our graduates. Below is a list of potential job titles:

    Job Titles With an Associate Degree Job Titles With an Advanced Degree
    Activity Director In A Nursing Home Counseling Psychologist
    Advocate Counselor
    Alcohol Counselor Family Therapist
    Certified Alcohol/Drug Counselor Grant Writer
    Chemical Dependency Counselor Private Practice
    Community Resource Coordinator Program Director
    Counselor QMHP (Qualified mental health professional)
    Court Advocate School Counselor
    Drug Counselor Social Worker
    Employment Counselor Specialized Counseling:
    Family Resource Specialist CACD I, II, III,
    Gambling Counselor Gambling
    In Patient Psychiatric Units Sex Addiction
    Job Coach
    Job Developer
    Mental Health Technician
    Mental Health Therapist Medical Settings
    Personal Skills Trainer
    Probation/Parole Technician
    Program Coordinator
    Qualified Mental Health Associate
    Rehabilitation Counselor
    Residential Aide
    Social Service Assistant
    Social Service Director In A Nursing Home/Long Term Care
    State Worker For DHS
    Student Aid/Tutors
    Teaching Assistant – With Special Needs/At Risk Youth
    Work In Domestic Violence
    Youth Development Specialist
    Can I transfer to another college or university after completing this program?
    Yes! Your Mental Health, Social Service and Addiction Counseling degree transfers directly to Concordia University Social Work program and to Portland State University Child and Family Studies program and Social Work program. Some students attend University of Portland Social Work program, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, University of Washington, Western Oregon University and some may elect to do online bachelor degrees in a social science.
    Are there classes offered in the evening or weekends for those that work?
    The core program classes are mainly offered during the day, Mondays through Thursdays, 8:30 a.m./9 a.m. until 4 p.m./5 p.m. most days. Additionally, there is a class in the winter term that meets once on Friday and Saturday.
    How much does the program cost?

    These costs are approximations and are subject to change without notice. They are listed only as a guide for your financial planning. Tuition and fees is effective as of Summer term 2017 and subject to change without notice. To view the current tuition rate, please see the Tuition/Fee Rate Table at www.mhcc.edu/tuition.


    2-Year Degree
    (6 Terms)

    Youth Worker Certificate
    (4 terms)

    College Service Fee ($45/term) $ 270.00 $180.00
    Access Fee ($35/term) $210.00 $140.00
    Tuition ($109.25/term) $10,932.50 (101 credits) $5353.25 (49 credits)
    Books* $1,000.00 $1000.00
    Cap and Gown $30.00 $30.00
    TOTAL ESTIMATE COST $ 12,442.50.25 $ 6703.25
    *The textbook costs listed above are for your core classes only and do not include costs for the general and related electives required for the Associate of Applied Science Degree in MHSSAC.
    I have a criminal history, will this bar me from getting into the program?

    If you have a criminal history, we strongly encourage potential applicants to contact our program adviser Kathleen Hannigan-McNamara (503-491-7403, Kathleen.Hannigan-McNamara@mhcc.edu) for more information. Below is a list of potentially disqualifying crimes.

    Abandonment of a child
    Abuse of corpse I and II
    Adult using minor in commission of controlled substance offense
    Aggravated animal abuse I
    Aggravated murder
    Aggravated theft I
    Animal abuse I and II
    Any federal crime, and any unclassified felony
    Application of controlled substance to the body of another person
    Arson I
    Assault I, II, III and IV
    Assault of public safety officer
    Burglary I
    Buying or selling a person under 18 years of age
    Cellular counterfeiting I
    Certain short-barreled firearms and firearm silencers
    Child neglect I and II
    Compelling prostitution
    Criminal homicide
    Criminal mistreatment I and II
    Criminally negligent homicide
    Custodial interference I
    Dealing sexual condition of children
    Displaying obscene materials to minors
    Disseminating obscene material
    Distribution to minors
    Encouraging child sexual abuse I, II, and III
    Endangering the welfare of a minor
    Escape I and II
    Exhibiting an obscene performance to a minor
    Failure to report as a sex offender
    Failure to report child pornography
    Female genital mutilation
    Firearms used in felony
    Furnishing obscene materials to minors
    Hindering prosecution
    Intimidation I and II
    Kidnapping I and II
    Manslaughter I and II
    Paying for sexual view of children
    Penalty for manufacture/delivery of controlled sub. w/in 1000 ft of School
    Possession of materials depicting sexually explicit conduct of a child I & II
    Possession of precursor substance w/ intent to manufacture
    Possession of weapons by certain felons
    Possession of weapons by inmates of institutions
    Prohibited acts (regarding the practice of medicine)
    Prohibited acts for registrants (w/ St. Brd of Pharmacy; re: felony crimes)
    Prohibited acts generally (regarding drug crimes)
    Promoting prostitution
    Providing hypodermic device to minor prohibited
    Racketeering activity unlawful
    Rape I, II, and III
    Robbery I, II, and III
    Sadomasochistic abuse or sexual conduct in live show
    Sale of drug paraphernalia prohibited
    Sale sexual condition of children
    Sending obscene materials to minors
    Sexual abuse I, II, and III
    Sexual assault of animal
    Sodomy I, II, and III
    Tear gas, or mace I
    Theft by extortion
    Theft of services
    Unlawful possession of machine guns
    Unlawful sexual penetration I and II
    Unlawful use of an electrical stun gun
    Unlawful use of weapon
    Using child in display of sexually explicit conduct
    Is there a board exam I have to take or a license at the end of the program?
    No state board is required. In Drug/Alcohol Counseling a certificate is available from another source (CADC). Application for that certificate requires 1000 hours of work experience. Your MHCC internship usually provides 480 of these hours. These requirements are subject to change by the Addiction Counselor Certification Board of Oregon (ACCBO) and the state of Oregon. For more information, visit www.accbo.com.